Austin History Center General Collection Photographs - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Arch construction of the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park]

Description: Photograph of the construction of an arch at the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park. A man in a fedora sits astride a semi-circular laminated wooden truss, working on joining it at the center. This truss, and two completed trusses in the background are framed against the sky. The trusses are supported by posts, and temporarily joined together with wooden cross braces. The top of a wooden scaffold is visible in the lower right corner of the image.
Date: December 10, 1943
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab, Austin
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Group of World War I Army enlisted men eating beside tent rows]

Description: Photograph of several enlisted men in what appear to be World War I U.S. infantry uniforms, some wearing sweaters and others thick shirts, eating at the end of a row of field tents. They are eating from metal mess kits, and the meal appears to include biscuits. Several of the men are wearing enlisted visor hats. Three of the men are identified in handwriting on the photograph: Walter, Clyde and George.
Date: 1917
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Rosewood Park for Negroes

Description: Photograph of a group of black children watching a youth prepare to dive from the diving board into the public pool at Rosewood Park.
Date: September 8, 1938
Creator: Ellison Photo Service, Austin
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Ariel view of Camp Swift including Headquarters, Post Finance Office, U. S. Post Office and north cantonment area]

Description: Photograph of an aerial view of Camp Swift Headquarters, Finance Building, U. S. Post Office and a portion of the north cantonment area. The long wooden buildings are arranged parallel to each other, with the two-story Headquarters building in the center and the one-story Finance and Post Office buildings to each side. A flag pole with flag is visible in the foreground, and the cantonment area buildings are in the background.
Date: 1942/1945
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Delta Sigma Theta members receive certificate]

Description: Photograph of three women of the African-American sorority Delta Sigma Theta accept a certificate from the Travis County Historical Survey Commission on behalf of the Rosewood Recreation Association.
Date: August 15, 1973
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Children swimming at Rosewood Park]

Description: Photograph of a group of African-American children swimming and splashing at the Rosewood Park for Negroes swimming pool. Extensive use of swimming pool and facilities demonstrates success of this recreation center.
Date: August 19, 1938
Creator: Ellison Photo Service
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[A United States Army private and a woman in Austin's U.S.O. Club]

Description: Photograph of a man and a woman seated at a wooden table at Austin's U.S.O. club. Each holds a bottle of 7up with a straw in it. The man is wearing a United States Army enlisted man's uniform, consisting of a jacket, shirt, tie and pants, and the woman is wearing a dress. There is an empty ashtray on the table in front of them. Austin's U.S.O. Club was located at 111-115 East 6th Street.
Date: 1942/1945
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Group of men on horseback, including Sheriff George S. Matthews, in front of Barnes and Company Grocers store]

Description: Photograph of a group of men on horseback in front of Barnes and Company Grocers, including George S. Matthews, who served as Travis County Sheriff from 1902 to 1920. Prior to that Matthews was a deputy sheriff. The men are wearing suits and hats, and some are wearing sashes and ribbons. Horses and buggies are visible behind the men on horseback, just in front of the store. Two women on the store's front porch are wearing long skirts and large hats. The Barnes and Company grocery was a two-story brick building with a two-story front wooden porch, located at 123 West 7th Street at Colorado Street. The railing on the second porch floor has Maltese crosses and Masonic emblems on alternating metal balusters, and a painted wooden slat sign between the floors has a decorative pierced and pointed detail on the bottom side. The painter of the grocery's sign was Philip Bruckmann. The street in front of the store is dirt.
Date: 1900/1901
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Court-House crowd [Group of Travis County officials standing on the steps of a stone building]

Description: Photograph of a group of men wearing suits standing on the steps of what may be either the Travis County Courthouse or the Travis County Jail. The identified men, including Judge George Calhoun, District Clerk James P. Hart, and Deputy Sheriff Fred Peck, are all Travis County officials, but most of the group are unidentified. One of the the men is African American, and he appears to be the only person not wearing a suit coat. Several of the men are wearing ties -- including bow ties, string ties and neck ties -- and several are wearing vests and have watch chains. The building behind them is made of stone blocks, with rusticated blocks below and ashlar blocks above. There is a door in the center of the photograph, behind the men, and it is flanked by two double-hung sash windows. Inscribed below the image in ink is "Court-House crowd", and the identifications are written in either ink or pencil with arrows pointing to the identified person.
Date: 1900?
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Eleanor Roosevelt making a whistle-stop campaign appearance in Austin]

Description: Photograph of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt standing behind a podium, on a platform, at the end of a train car as he addresses the large, night-time crowd assembled before him. His outstretched arms grasp the podium. Roosevelt is surrounded by a group of people including his wife, Eleanor, and possibly John Nance Garner ("Cactus Jack"), the vice-president. A neon sign above the train car reads, "PROSPERITY'S ROSE BLOOMS AGAIN WITH ROOSEVELT." The crowd is standing shoulder-to-shoulder.
Date: June 11, 1936
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory, City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Woman standing with a bicycle with balloon tires]

Description: Photograph of a woman dressed in a white blouse and hat as well as a dark skirt standing on a lawn in front of bushes with a bicycle with balloon tires. She has her right hand on the seat and her left hand on the handlebar. The bicycle is a turn-of-the-century safety model with a single gear and bicycle chain.
Date: 1900~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Lobby and registration desk at the Stephen F. Austin Hotel]

Description: Photograph of the front desk and a portion of the lobby at the Stephen F. Austin Hotel, located at 701 Congress Avenue in Austin. The registration area is made of wood, trimmed in a darker wood, and there are rows of key or letter boxes behind the desk. A rack filled with brochures sits on the desk. A large circular chandelier with shaded lamps hangs from the recessed lobby ceiling, just in front of the registration desk. Wooden, upholstered arm chairs sit in front of square columns on either side of the chandelier.
Date: 1960~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Army enlisted men and women in civilian dress pose with leis at the Austin USO Club]

Description: Photograph of a group of soldiers standing on a stage with women at the U.S.O. Club. All are wearing leis, and some of the soldiers wear white t-shirts with their uniform pants. Most of the women are wearing colorful cotton dresses or skirts. One couple is holding a U.S.O. flag. Two soldiers and one woman are standing on a ladder leading up to the stage. The people look like they are participants in a Hawaiian-themed party or show.
Date: 1942/1945
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Registration desk of the Stephen F. Austin Hotel]

Description: Photograph of the registration desk or front desk at the Stephen F. Austin Hotel, located at 701 Congress Avenue in Austin. The desk sits on a dark marble base, topped by wooden panels and a dark counter. Two cubicles, formed by frosted glass and wooden posts, are at each end of the desk. Visible between them is a bank of key boxes or letter boxes. A ceiling fan and several commercial light fixtures hang from the recessed ceiling. There appears to be a hallway leading away from the left side of the reception desk.
Date: 1930~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Anna Duval Bank's Spring Dance Recital]

Description: Photograph of Anna Duval Bank's Spring Dance Recital with a row of five young girls, including Sharon Ward (second from the front) and Elizabeth Ann Curry (third from the front), wearing drummer costumes and sitting on wooden chairs. They are holding drums decorated with cartoon characters on their laps. Champ Howell, a young boy wearing a similar costume, sits at the end of the row.
Date: 1946
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Treaty Oak]

Description: Photograph of Treaty Oak on Baylor Street between Fifth and Sixth Streets in Austin shows the approximately 450-year-old tree's twisting branches and trunk. A low stone wall surrounds the tree, and sun dapples the grass beneath the branches.
Date: May 1, 1941
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab, Austin
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Negro War Recreation Council Headquarters building]

Description: Photograph of the Negro War Recreation Council Headquarters building, a concrete frame building located at 702-14 East Avenue (now I-35) in the former city market, repurposed as a bus depot and recreation building for African American soldiers. The windows are 6/6 configuration, many of which are decoratively painted with stars, patriotic shields and the letter "V". The 5-panel double wooden entrance doors, at the center of the photograph, each have painted or decal flags on the second horizontal panel from the top. The sign above the doors reads: "HEADQUARTERS, SUB-BUS STATION, NEGRO WAR RECREATION COUNCIL". To the left of the doors sits a 1930s-era sedan, and to the left of that is a ground-mounted sign that reads: "SUB-BUS STATION for COLORED SOLDIERS". There is a large flag pole, without a flag, visible to the rear of photograph. A wooden bench sits in front of the right building bay. There are several suitcases on the bench, and an overcoat appears to be draped over some of them. The market building was originally constructed as a 1935 Public Works Administration (PWA) project, which opened in June 1935.
Date: January 6, 1944
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Interior view of the Negro War Recreation Council Building with 3 women and 3 Soldiers around a table]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Negro War Recreation Council Building, located at 702-14 East Avenue (now I-35) in the former city market building, showing a group of African Americans, including 3 women and 3 soldiers in uniform. Four of the women and men are seated in couples at a table, while the remaining soldier is sitting on the table as the woman stands in front of it. All of the women are nicely dressed; one has a fur collar and hat, and one has flowers in her hair. The building, which also served as a bus depot, has several wooden benches, roughly constructed of lumber. Several of the windows to the rear of the photograph are decoratively painted with stars, patriotic shields and the letter "V". Three single glass globe pendant light fixtures are visible hanging from the open vaulted ceiling. The market building was originally constructed as a 1935 Public Works Administration (PWA) project, which opened in June 1935.
Date: January 6, 1944
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Group of African American women in the Negro War Recreation Council Building]

Description: Photograph of a group of African American women seated in a reading room at the Negro War Recreation Council Building and bus depot, located in the former city market building at 702-14 East Avenue (now I-35). The group is seated in a "U" shape, facing a woman seated at a the head table. Books, a four-drawer card file, magazines, and a radio line the back wall. On the wall there is a war bond poster which reads: "Don't let that shadow touch them, Buy WAR BONDS", where the "shadow" is in the shape of a swastika and three children cower in its wake. There is a wall-mounted electric fan to the right of the war bond poster, and a fur coat hangs on a coat hook on the left window wall. A hand-made poster on a window at the back reads: "ATTENTION, Have you written a Letter home to-day? Writing facilities may be obtained at the information desk. Books and Magazines are available in the office for SERVICE MEN."
Date: January 6, 1944
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Don Stence and assistant]

Description: Photograph of Don Stence (seated) of the Austin Parks and Recreation Department and assistant looking over architectural park plans. The drafting desk is covered with drawings and plans.
Date: 19uu
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Boys making model airplanes at the Pan American Recreation Center in Austin]

Description: Photograph of a group of six Latino youth making balsa-wood airplanes from a Comet brand "Air-Age Educational Kit" at the Pan American Recreation Center (Pan American Community Center), 300 Comal Street, in Austin. The boys are working at two picnic tables placed end-to-end. Several other people, including a girl, two boys, a man and a woman, stand behind the table either observing or assisting. There is a Mexican tourism poster featuring a woman, with her hair in braids, holding a basket of fruit on the wall behind one of the tables.
Date: November 19, 1946
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory, City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[St. David's Episcopal Church exterior]

Description: Photograph of an oblique view of the south front and west side of Saint David's Episcopal Church located at 301 East 8th Street. The gothic revival stone building has punched gothic windows, edged with stone quoins on the south facade, engaged pilasters and dormer vents. The symetrical south front has a central tower and castleated parapets. Two entrances are visible, both on the west facade: one on the south end and one on the north. There are four children standing in front of the west facade facing the camera, and what appears to be gas lamp standard at the southwest corner. The building was originally constructed in 1854. In 1870 the south addition was constructed, and the south tower was completed in 1885.
Date: 1885/1900
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Playground leaders]

Description: Photograph of a group of playground leaders. Women are seated in the first row, and men are standing in the rear. Beverly Sheffield is identified in the back row, 2nd from right.
Date: 1935~
Creator: Boone Photo Co., Austin, TX
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Swimmers at Rosewood Park pool]

Description: Photograph of swimmers at the swimming pool at the Rosewood Park for Negroes. Because of an extensive remodeling and enlargement program, Rosewood Pool opened its swimming session on June 19, but even with this late start, attendance for the rest of the season totaled 73,155. The completed pool measures 70' x 125' plus an adjacent wading pool that is 20' x 40', giving a combined total of 9,550 sq. ft. A water filtering system was installed with a 3-gallon per minute filter rate. The pool has a 350,000 gallon capacity with a 6-hour turnover. Other improvements include underwater lights in the deep end of the pool. Total cost of improvements was about $68,000.
Date: 1936~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library