Austin History Center General Collection Photographs - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Aerial View of Austin, TX]

Description: Photograph of an aerial view of Austin, TX taken from north of E. 15th Street. There are markers on the photograph indicating E. 15th ST., E. 11th ST., E. 8th ST., E. 7th ST., E. 4th ST., an the Colorado River. US-81 (present-day IH-35) can be seen running north and south through the left side of the photograph and the Capitol Building can be seen on the right.
Date: unknown
Creator: City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Aerial View of Austin, TX]

Description: Photograph of an aerial view of Austin, TX. The "Power House" or Boiler House is for construction of new Capitol building that began in 1881. A Swedish or German Lutheran church is in the foreground. The building in the distance, left of the Power House stack is the old City Hospital.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Aerial view of courts and seats at Caswell Tennis Center]

Description: Photograph of an aerial view of all six tennis courts, spectator stands, and parking at the Caswell Tennis Center on Shoal Creek at 24th and N. Lamar. Two men's doubles matches are visible in the back two courts. Spectators crowd in the shade under the awning. Residential neighborhoods are visible behind the tennis courts in the background.
Date: June 20, 1950
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Aerial View of Deep Eddy]

Description: Photograph of an aerial view of Deep Eddy pool and surrounding area. The pool is dried out and the trees are bare indicating winter. There are no visible people or activity near the pool. Deep Eddy began as a natural swimming hole in the Colorado River and was expanded into a man-made swimming pool in 1915 by A.J. Eilers, Sr. Deep Eddy pool is the oldest swimming pool in Texas and is operated and maintained by the City of Austin.
Date: 19uu
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Aerial View of Governor's Mansion]

Description: Early photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation from a high vantage point across the street, showing lot in front of the mansion, grounds. The Carriage House is visible behind trees to the right of the mansion. A wooden fence is visible behind the mansion, but other fences are removed. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1909 was Governor Thomas Mitchell Campbell. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1909
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Aerial view of Municipal Golf Course

Description: Photograph of An aerial view of Austin Municipal Golf Course, donated to the city in 1936 by the Austin Lion's Club. The club house is visible in the center of the image, with holes surrounding. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: 1936/unknown
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Aerial view of the construction of Palmer Municipal Auditorium]

Description: Photograph of the construction of the old Palmer Municipal Auditorium as seen from the air looking south toward Barton Springs Road at the top of the view, with Riverside Drive at the bottom. Portions of the Auditorium's concrete frame are completed, and the metal framework for the flyloft is under construction. Several commercial buildings are visible on Barton Springs Road. The site is littered with construction debris, and various construction support buildings are visible.
Date: 1957
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Aerial View of Zilker Park]

Description: Photograph of an aerial view of Zilker Park looking north. Shows the area of Barton Springs with Lady Bird Lake in the background
Date: unknown
Creator: Southwestern Aerial Survey
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[African-American families]

Description: Photograph of a family of African-Americans standing in front of a log cabin. A young girl stands in the open doorway of the cabin and looks on at the family portrait.
Date: [1860..1890]
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Aftermath of 1915 flood]

Description: View of aftermath of April 1915 flood, Waller Creek at 705 E. 6th Street, Austin. People are gathered on the stone bridge and look down onto the creek. Damaged buildings are on either side of the creek.
Date: 1915
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Airplane view of vicinity of Waller Creek and East First Street

Description: Photograph of Airplane view of vicinity of Waller Creek and East 1st Street. East 1st Street is visible diagonally down the center of the image from top to bottom, while Waller Creek cuts through the image from left to right.
Date: 19uu
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Alfonso Ramos Band plays for a wedding reception at the San Jose Community Center]

Description: Photograph of the Alfonso Ramos Band playing at the San Jose Community Center in the Montopolis neighborhood of Austin. The band includes saxophone, drums, bongo drum, trombone, and trumpet. A man in tan suit is singing or talking into the microphone as other band members talk or wait. Five little girls, some wearing white dresses, and two little boys sit on the edge of the stage and watch the dancers. Women, wearing foral bridesmaid dresses, dance with men in suits.
Date: 1970~
Creator: Penzenstadler, Joan
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

All Tied up on Zilker Kite Field

Description: Photograph of "All tied up on Zilker kite field." Two teenagers try to untangle a number of kite strings while two girls stand by. They are in a field at Zilker Park in Austin.
Date: [1969..1979]
Creator: Austin Citizen
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Aluminum for Defense]

Description: Photograph of Aluminum for Defense collection point outside of the Texas Capitol building. A large chicken-wire bin holds aluminum cans. The Capitol dome is visible in the background.
Date: July 28, 1941
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory City of Austin, Texas
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Anderson High School students]

Description: Photograph of Anderson High School students lined up outside the schoolhouse which is either at Olive and Curve Streets or at Pennsylvania Street (currently Kealing Middle school). This class is composed of mostly female African American students.
Date: [1889, 1920]
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Anna Duval Bank's Spring Dance Recital]

Description: Photograph of Anna Duval Bank's Spring Dance Recital with a row of five young girls, including Sharon Ward (second from the front) and Elizabeth Ann Curry (third from the front), wearing drummer costumes and sitting on wooden chairs. They are holding drums decorated with cartoon characters on their laps. Champ Howell, a young boy wearing a similar costume, sits at the end of the row.
Date: 1946
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Arc welder at Weigl Iron Works]

Description: Photograph of a member of the Weigl family using an arc welder on a project. The Weigl Iron Works was founded in 1922 by German immigrant and founder Fortunat Weigl. In 1935 Weigl moved his foundry from its Exposition Boulevard location to 100 Red River location where it remained for several decades. He was joined in business by his sons Lee and Herbert who continued to operate after Fortunat's death in 1973 until their retirement in 1977. In 1978, the location was reopened as Iron Works BBQ in honor of the history at that location.
Date: 19uu
Creator: Austin Citizen Photograph
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Arch construction of the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park]

Description: Photograph of the construction of an arch at the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park. A man in a fedora sits astride a semi-circular laminated wooden truss, working on joining it at the center. This truss, and two completed trusses in the background are framed against the sky. The trusses are supported by posts, and temporarily joined together with wooden cross braces. The top of a wooden scaffold is visible in the lower right corner of the image.
Date: December 10, 1943
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab, Austin
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Ariel view of Camp Swift including Headquarters, Post Finance Office, U. S. Post Office and north cantonment area]

Description: Photograph of an aerial view of Camp Swift Headquarters, Finance Building, U. S. Post Office and a portion of the north cantonment area. The long wooden buildings are arranged parallel to each other, with the two-story Headquarters building in the center and the one-story Finance and Post Office buildings to each side. A flag pole with flag is visible in the foreground, and the cantonment area buildings are in the background.
Date: 1942/1945
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Armistice Day Parade

Description: Photograph of a group of men marching in an Armistice Day parade in 1919. The identities of some of the men are given by Mr. George C. Hawley: Dr. T.U. Taylor is holding the flag, Dr. E.P. Schoch is the tall professor in the first row (next to Dr. Bantel), Dr. E.C. Bantel is the first person in the line of march.
Date: 1919
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library