Austin History Center General Collection Photographs - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Austin Primary School

Description: Group portrait of children posed for a portrait outside of a wood framed building. They wear costumes as if dressed for a school play. Many wear tunics with a large, round flower petal collar and a flower on the chest and one boy to the left holds an oversized flower. The building is a basic square design with a large window at the center of each quarter. Note that 200 Nueces and 717 West Ave. are written on the back.
Date: 1895
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Public Library]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the public library building located at 819 Congress Avenue on the second floor above the newspaper Pressler and Ziller on March 7, 1933. The library opened at this location on February 16, 1926. Grace Delano Clark served as volunteer librarian. Shortly thereafter, the library moved to its first building on West 9th street and Guadalupe street. "Gossip" written and underlined beneath date on back of photo.
Date: March 7, 1933
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Skyline]

Description: Photograph of the Austin skyline taken from the top of the Light Plant.
Date: October 11, 1937
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Austin, "The Friendly City"

Description: Photograph of the Texas State Capitol. The photograph appeared on the front of a card given out by the Austin Chamber of Commerce. The back of the card reads as follows, "This Card Certifies that Geo. A. Newgent representing A. J. Maloney Co is a member in good standing of the Austin Chamber of Commerce". The card is signed by the president and the manager of the Austin Chamber of Commerce and states that it will expire Dec. 31, 1949.
Date: 1949
Creator: Austin Chamber of Commerce
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin, TX]

Description: Photograph of the city of Austin looking northeast from the Calcasieu Lumber Company. The Walter Tips Co. Hardware store can be seen on the north side of the street.
Date: August 16, 1949
Creator: Studtman Photo Service
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin, TX]

Description: Photograph of Austin, TX taken from the southeast. US-81 and the Holly St. exit ramp sign are in the photograph.
Date: 1967
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Austin - Views from Capitol

Description: View of Austin from the Capitol Building with the Governor's Mansion visible.
Date: 192u
Creator: Boone Photo Company
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin White Lime Company]

Description: Photograph of the exterior of Austin White Lime Company. There is a man walking in front of the building and there are lime kilns in the background.
Date: 1890
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association at Municipal Golf Course

Description: Photograph of Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer and spectators at start of drive.The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer and family at Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of a family of four featuring an AWPLGA golfer, her husband, son, and daughter, on fairway during an AWPLGA tournament at the Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]

Description: Photograph of a woman golfer in view between tree branches at the AWPLGA tournament at Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1966
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer swinging at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]

Description: Photograph of a golfer swinging on a drive at the AWPLGA tournament at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1966
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association tournament at the Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of four golfers standing on the green at the Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association tournament at the Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association trophy at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]

Description: Photograph of a trophy awarded at the AWPLGA tournamen at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. Spectators are visible in the background. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Austin Women's Volunteer Service]

Description: Portriat of Mrs. L. B. Griffith, Chairman Austin Womens Volunteer Service; Miss Dolly Maude Harris; Mrs. Betty Anne Coffman, delivering Austin Telephone Directory.
Date: November 1942
Creator: Rosenthal, Alfred
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Austin's First Ambulance

Description: Photograph of Austin's first ambulance taken at 33rd and Speedway streets. The ambulance is horse-drawn and on the side, in addition to a cross, is a small plaque that reads "V.O. Weed." On the back of the photograph there is a note that reads "Mr. Bob Weed says that the body of this horse-drawn ambulance was removed and motorized with the coming of the auto-mobile, therefore it became Austin's first real ambulance."
Date: 1910
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Austin's First Ambulance

Description: Photograph of a horse-drawn ambulance taken at 33rd and Speedway streets. On the side of the ambulance, in addition to a cross, is a small plaque that reads "V.O. Weed." The body of this horse-drawn ambulance was removed and motorized with the coming of the automobile, therefore it became Austin's first real ambulance.
Date: 1910
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Avoid this in fairway No. 2

Description: Photograph of a man standing in a sand trap to show how deep it is, on fairway number two at Austin Municipal Golf Course. A typed caption under the image says "Avoid this in Fareway No. 2."
Date: 19uu
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Awards at the Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association tournament at the Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of a woman being presented with a trophy on green at the AWPLGA tournament at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. Spectators stand to the right. A man operates a camera in the bed of a truck on the left. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[AWPGLA at Muny]

Description: Group portrait of ladies from the Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association. They hold a poster reading "Light up with Jax."
Date: [1960, 1974]
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

AWPLGA at Muny

Description: Group portrait of golfers from AWPLGA, the Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association, drinking Jax beer. The stand outside under some strands of lights. A small truck is in the foreground.
Date: [1960, 1974]
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library