Austin History Center General Collection Photographs - 110 Matching Results

Search Results

"Sweetheart" Pan American Invitational Softball Tournament

Description: Photograph of Pan American Recreation Center's "Sweetheart" for their Invitational Softball Tournament with the trophies. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: June 1961
Creator: Recreational Dept., City of Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Tiny Tots at Hancock]

Description: Photograph of a group of children playing a game. They are in a large circle, holding hands, with two adult instructors.
Date: November 1966
Creator: Parks and Recreation Department
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Tiny Tots - Austin Athletic Club]

Description: Photograph of eight young children sitting on a bench, mimicking gestures made by their instructor. Caption on back reads: "Tiny Tots- 1963, Austin Athletic Club. (Brunette girl in center is daughter of John Bustin)."
Date: July 23, 1963
Creator: City of Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Town Lake's First Tree]

Description: Photograph of the planting of Town Lake's first tree by the Women's Architectural League. Two women and a man are gathered around the tree, the man holding a shovel. The state Capitol building, UT tower, and other buildings are visible in the background. The young woman in the photograph is Gail Swallow, President of Women's Architectural League.
Date: February 11, 1966
Creator: Vaughn, Ronald
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Trio Los Amigos

Description: Photograph of a trio of Mexican mariachi musicians at the Pan American Recreation Center. The mariachi wear sombreros and patterned panchos. The two mariachi on the right and left play guitarróns while the middle mariachi plays the Mexican vihuela. The mariachi mouths are open in mid-song. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: 1965
Creator: Parks and Recreation Department, City of Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Visitors and bust of Elisabet Ney at the Elisabet Ney Museum]

Description: Photograph of Visitors Lesly Cain (age 7) and Mrs. Don Johnson examine a bust is of Mrs. Elisabet Ney at the Elisabet Ney Museum. In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
Date: [1969..1979]
Creator: Hyatt, Darl
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Wildcat Orchestra at Zilker Hillside Theater]

Description: Photograph of Photograph of the orchestra from a summer musical "Wildcat" performed on stage at the open-air Zilker Hillside Theater in Austin. The orchestra sits on a raised platform while spectators sit on the ground surrounding.
Date: 1962-08-23/1962-08-25
Creator: Recreation Department, City of Austin
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

The Zilker Zephyr

Description: Photograph of children and parents riding the Zilker Zephyr miniature train through Zilker Park. Downtown Austin and the Capitol building are visible in the background.
Date: [1960,1980]
Creator: Haddon, E.P.
Location Info:
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library