American Lumberman Photographs of Southern Pine Lumber Company - 255 Matching Results

Search Results

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 1]
Photograph of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company engine 1 at Vair station, Trinity County, Texas. Engine 1 was 4-4-0 steam locomotive built by Dickson Manufacturing Company circa 1884. It was original operated by either the Houston, East & West Texas Railway or the Kansas & Gulf Shortline. The TSE may have acquired it in 1898. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 3 near Blix]
Photograph of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 3 along the right of way near Blix station, western Angelina County, Texas. Engine 3 was a Baldwin 2-6-0 steam locomotive that was believed to be originally built for the Vicksburg, Shreveport and Pacific Railway. It was later sold to mining operations in Uvalde, Texas in 1939. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 4]
Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 4 pulling a Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway freight car, a TSE caboose, and twelve cars of pine logs. Ed Baucum is the engineer. Engine 4 was a Baldwin 4-6-0 steam locomotive that the TSE purchased in March 1904 from the Ragley Lumber Company for $3,500. It was sold to the Lufkin, Hemphill and Gulf Railway in November 1921. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 4 - Broadside]
Photograph of a broadside view of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 4. Engine 4 was a Baldwin 4-6-0 steam locomotive that the TSE purchased in March 1904 from the Ragley Lumber Company for $3,500. It was sold to the Lufkin, Hemphill and Gulf Railway in November 1921. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 5]
Photograph of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 5 at Blix station along the TSE right of way in western Angelina County, Texas. Engine 5 was a Baldwin 4-6-0 steam locomotive built in 1905. It was later sold to Urbana Gravel Company of Urbana and scrapped in 1954. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 5 near Blix]
Photograph of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 5 near Blix with railroad track construction workers. A Lidgerwood sits in front of engine 5 and a Bucyrus steam shovel is seen in the background. This is in western Angelina County, Texas.
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 6]
Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 6, probably in Trinity County near camp 2. American Lumberman identifies this as a switch engine. Engine 6 was a Baldwin 2-6-0 steam locomotive built in 1905 for Southern Pine Lumber Company and later transferred to Temple Lumber Company of Pineland, Texas, which was Southern Pine's "sister" operation.
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 7]
Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company's engine 7 and a train of twenty cars of pine logs. Engine 7 was a 4-6-0 Baldwin locomotive built new for the TSE in 1906. It was later sold to Sand & Gravel Company of Columbus, Texas in 1938. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 7 at the Mill Pond]
Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company engine 7 with a train of log cars beside the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 1 mill pond. The sawmill is shown in the background.
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 7 - Broadside]
Photograph of a broadside view of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 7, pulling Southern Pacific freight car 65087 and showing railroad workers. Engine 7 was a 4-6-0 Baldwin locomotive built new for the TSE in 1906. It was later sold to Sand & Gravel Company of Columbus, Texas in 1938. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 7 "Dozier" Work]
Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 7 and men performing "dozier" work on the right of way. Engine 7 was a 4-6-0 Baldwin locomotive built new for the TSE in 1906. It was later sold to Sand & Gravel Company of Columbus, Texas in 1938. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 7 Log Train]
Photograph of nineteen log cars pulled by Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 7, located at a switch west of the sawmill. This is possibly in Angelina County, Texas.
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 1 Interior - South End]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 1 interior from the south end, showing mill machinery. It was also called the "yellow pine mill" because it cut yellow pine. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine. American Lumberman reports that in 1907 the mill had a daily capacity of 240,000 board feet of lumber and 65,000 feet of lath. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and rebuilt by September of that year.
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 2]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 2 as viewed from a point slightly west of the dry kilns. This mill was built between December 1906 and April 1907. All sawmill equipment was in a 40x155 feet area and the lath mill annex was 28x60 feet. Although it was sometimes called the hardwood mill, it also cut pine. The mill's daily capacity during a daytime run was 60,000 feet of pine and 40,000 feet of hardwoods, with a day and night yellow pine capacity of 120,000 feet. Hardwoods were not cut at night. Sawmill 2 was dismantled in 1954.
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 2 at Sunset]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill no. 2 as seen from across the mill pond at sunset. This mill was built between December 1906 and April 1907. All sawmill equipment was in a 40x155 feet area and the lath mill annex was 28x60 feet. Although it was sometimes called the hardwood mill, it also cut pine. The mill's daily capacity during a daytime run was 60,000 feet of pine and 40,000 feet of hardwoods, with a day and night yellow pine capacity of 120,000 feet. Hardwoods were not cut at night. Sawmill 2 was dismantled in 1954.
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 2 Boilers]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 2 boilers, showing a boiler room worker. Sawmill 2 was also called the hardwood mill. The boilers were made by Casey-Hedges Company of Chattanooga, Tennessee.
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 2 Corliss Steam Engine]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill no. 2 Corliss steam engine built by Filer & Stowell. Also shown are three company employees.
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 2 Interior]
Photograph of the interior of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill no. 2, also called the hardwood mill. This view is from the log end and shows hardwood logs on a band saw dock, a band saw, and a company employee. This mill was built between December 1906 and April 1907. All sawmill equipment was in a 40x155 feet area and the lath mill annex was 28x60 feet. Although it was sometimes called the hardwood mill, it also cut pine. The mill's daily capacity during a daytime run was 60,000 feet of pine and 40,000 feet of hardwoods, with a day and night yellow pine capacity of 120,000 feet. Hardwoods were not cut at night. Sawmill 2 was dismantled in 1954.
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmills]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmills from across the mill pond from a point 100 feet east of the locomotive water tank. The burner and water tower are shown between the sawmills. Sawmill 1, the yellow pine mill, is on the left and sawmill 2, the hardwood and pine mill is on the right.
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmills - 2]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmills at a distance from the extreme length of the mill pond. Sawmill 1, the yellow pine mill, is on the left and sawmill 2, the hardwood and pine mill, is on the right.
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmills at Night]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmills at night with the mill pond in the foreground.
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmills - North End View]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmills from the extreme north end of the mill pond. This picture was made with a long focus lens. Sawmill 1, the yellow pine mill, is on the left and sawmill 2, the hardwood and pine mill is on the right.
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Tennis Court]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company tennis court and club at play, while showing the lumber yard in the background. The company had an athletic society that was open to young men who held semiexecutive positions such as office workers. Baseball was another focus of the society.
[Southern Pine Lumber Company White Oak Boards]
Photograph of four white oak boards manufactured by the Southern Pine Lumber Company. The boards measure 2" x 19" x 16'.
[Star Hotel - 2]
Photograph of Diboll's Star Hotel, which was located across the Southern Pacific railroad tracks from the commissary. The hotel was built by 1903 and generally accommodated office personnel and traveling salesmen. It is where Southern Pine Lumber Company founder T. L. L. Temple stayed when visiting Diboll from Texarkana, Arkansas prior to the company library being built adjacent to the commissary circa 1908. The Star Hotel was remembered for its large dining room which fed up to thirty people at one time. The closure date is unknown but by 1939 the building had been torn down.
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 8 in the Woods]
Photograph of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 8 pulling a train of hardwood logs and McGiffert log loader 3. These logs were cut from the J. M. Walker league in Trinity County. The engine workers pose for the photograph. Engine 8 was a Shay locomotive built by the Lima Locomotive Works in March 1907. It was built new for the TSE and Southern Pine Lumber Company. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Lumber Freight Train]
Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 7 pulling a 14 car train of loaded lumber and tagged with Southern Pine Lumber Company signs. Sawmill 1, or the yellow pine mill, is shown in the background.
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Office]
Photograph of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company office in Diboll, Texas.
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Office Interior]
Photograph of the interior of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company office. General manager W. J. Raef sits behind the desk with an unidentified assistant in the foreground. Note the telephone, electric light, heater, and a safe. Raef was general manager as early as 1903 but left the railroad in early 1908.
[Thomas Lewis Latane Temple]
Photograph of Thomas Lewis Latane Temple, the founder and owner of the Southern Pine Lumber Company and Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company, seen in the company's main office in Texarkana, Arkansas. This view is looking from L. D. Gilbert's office, who at this time was the secretary and treasurer.
[Thomas Lewis Latane Temple - 2]
Photograph of Thomas Lewis Latane Temple, the founder and owner of the Southern Pine Lumber Company and Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company, seen in the company's main office in Texarkana, Arkansas.
[Thomas Lewis Latane Temple Home - from North]
Photograph of the Thomas Lewis Latane Temple home at 302 E 5th St., Texarkana, Arkansas. This view is from the north. Temple was the founder and owner of the Southern Pine Lumber Company and Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company. The house is no longer standing.
[Thomas Lewis Latane Temple Home - from West]
Photograph of the Thomas Lewis Latane Temple home at 302 E 5th St., Texarkana, Arkansas. Temple was the founder and owner of the Southern Pine Lumber Company and the Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company. The house is no longer standing.
[Tie Wacker and Ox Team]
Photograph of a Southern Pine Lumber Company tie whacker and a team of eight long horned oxen. The tie whacker would cut logs into railroad ties in the woods. This photograph is likely in Trinity County, Texas.
[Two Hardwood Log Cars]
Photograph of two rail cars loaded with hardwood timber near the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmills.
[W. J. Raef Home]
Photograph of the W. J. Raef home in Diboll. Raef was the vice president and general manager of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company.
[Water Tower at Sunset]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company's new water tower at sunset. The lumber yard is to the left of the tower and a sawmill is on the right. The water tower was used for fire protection and held 40,000 gallons.
[White Oak and Gum Timber, Trinity County, Texas]
Photograph of white oak timber and gum timber on the northeast corner of the J. M. Walker league in Trinity County, Texas. This location is 16 miles northwest of Diboll. Southern Pine Lumber Company woods boss John A. Massingill is on horseback in the center.
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Loading Dock]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company loading dock which was situated behind the commissary. This view is from the south end of the dock. Lumbermen pushing carts are depicted as well as freight cars on the right, including Pennsylvania Railroad car 93788. The planing mill is seen in the background. Note how the loading dock is curved.
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Lumber Yard - Central View]
Photograph of the center of the Southern Pine Lumber Company lumber yard taken from atop the water tower. Company housing can be seen in the background.
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Lumber Yard - from Special Tower]
Photograph of the central section of the Southern Pine Lumber Company lumber yard, looking down from a 35 foot special tower.
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Lumber Yard - Southwestern View]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company lumber yard, looking southwest from atop the water tower. Company housing is depicted in the background.
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Lumber Yard - Western View]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company lumber yard looking west from atop the water tower. Company housing are shown in the background.
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Manufactured Lumber Shed]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company manufactured lumber shed from the northwest.
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Mill No. 2 from the Mill Pond]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill number 2 looking across the mill pond from the unloading dock of the yellow pine mill (mill no. 1). This mill was built between December 1906 and April 1907. All sawmill equipment was in a 40x155 feet area and the lath mill annex was 28x60 feet. Although it was sometimes called the hardwood mill, it also cut pine. The mill's daily capacity during a daytime run was 60,000 feet of pine and 40,000 feet of hardwoods, with a day and night yellow pine capacity of 120,000 feet. Hardwoods were not cut at night. Sawmill 2 was dismantled in 1954.
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Office and Staff]
Photograph of Southern Pine Lumber Company's Diboll office and office staff.
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Office Building - Second Floor]
Photograph of the State National Bank building in downtown Texarkana, Arkansas, in which the Southern Pine Lumber Company offices were located on the second floor. The building was located at 101 E. Broad Street.
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Pine Products]
Photograph of three pine boards produced by the Southern Pine Lumber Company. Three boards measure 1" x 24" x 16' and two measure 1" x 29" x 16'.
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Pine Products - 2]
Photograph of three pine boards measuring 1" x 30" manufactured by the Southern Pine Lumber Company.
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Planing Mill Boilers]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company planing mill boilers, showing two company employees.