American Lumberman Photographs of Southern Pine Lumber Company - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Planing Mill Interior - South End]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Southern Pine Lumber Company planing mill from the south end, showing mill machinery. The January 18, 1908 issue of American Lumberman reports that the planing mill had one 8x30 sizer, one 8x18 sizer, four 15-inch No. 2 combination matchers, six 9-inch matchers, one 10-inch outside molder, one 15-inch inside molder, six swing cutoff saws, two resaws, two edgers, one lath machine, and two blowers. It was 252 by 80 feet in area, employed 43 people and had a daily capacity of 275,000 feet of lumber.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: The History Center

[Dynamo Room Interior]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Southern Pine Lumber Company dynamo room showing an engine manufactured by A. L. Ide & Sons of Springfield, Illinois. Engine specifications include 13x12 204 rev.; 50 K. W. Triumph Dynamo (Triumph Electric Company of Cincinnati, Ohio); 35 K. W. Keystone dynamo (Keystone Electric Company of Erie, Pennsylvania); 250 volts D. C.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Hardwood Products - 2]

Description: Photograph of various Southern Pine Lumber Company hardwood products. Pictured are red gum 30"; white oak 22" x 18'; red oak 25"; bay poplar 32"; red gum 27"; and four white oaks 19".
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: The History Center

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 1]

Description: Photograph of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company engine 1 at Vair station, Trinity County, Texas. Engine 1 was 4-4-0 steam locomotive built by Dickson Manufacturing Company circa 1884. It was original operated by either the Houston, East & West Texas Railway or the Kansas & Gulf Shortline. The TSE may have acquired it in 1898. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: The History Center

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 8 in the Woods]

Description: Photograph of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 8 pulling a train of hardwood logs and McGiffert log loader 3. These logs were cut from the J. M. Walker league in Trinity County. The engine workers pose for the photograph. Engine 8 was a Shay locomotive built by the Lima Locomotive Works in March 1907. It was built new for the TSE and Southern Pine Lumber Company. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: The History Center

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 8]

Description: Photograph of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 8 at Vair station, Trinity County, Texas. Engine 8 was a Shay locomotive built by the Lima Locomotive Works in March 1907. It was built new for the TSE and Southern Pine Lumber Company. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: The History Center

[Marsh Fire Pump at the Sawmill No. 2]

Description: Photograph of a Marsh fire pump at the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 2, also called the hardwood mill. The pump had an 8-inch suction capacity and a 7-inch discharge.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 2 Boilers]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 2 boilers, showing a boiler room worker. Sawmill 2 was also called the hardwood mill. The boilers were made by Casey-Hedges Company of Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Loading Dock]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company loading dock which was situated behind the commissary. This view is from the south end of the dock. Lumbermen pushing carts are depicted as well as freight cars on the right, including Pennsylvania Railroad car 93788. The planing mill is seen in the background. Note how the loading dock is curved.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: The History Center

[Camp 1 Company Store]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Southern Pine Lumber Company commissary at camp 1. Camp 1 was near the Rayville Ranch site in Trinity County, Texas, about 13 miles northwest of Diboll. It replaced the Angelina County camp called Lindsey Springs, and lasted from about 1907-1912.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Front Office]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Southern Pine Lumber Company front office at check paying time in the evening. This is the main Diboll office.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: The History Center

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 7 "Dozier" Work]

Description: Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 7 and men performing "dozier" work on the right of way. Engine 7 was a 4-6-0 Baldwin locomotive built new for the TSE in 1906. It was later sold to Sand & Gravel Company of Columbus, Texas in 1938. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: The History Center

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 3 near Blix]

Description: Photograph of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 3 along the right of way near Blix station, western Angelina County, Texas. Engine 3 was a Baldwin 2-6-0 steam locomotive that was believed to be originally built for the Vicksburg, Shreveport and Pacific Railway. It was later sold to mining operations in Uvalde, Texas in 1939. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: The History Center

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 4]

Description: Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 4 pulling a Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway freight car, a TSE caboose, and twelve cars of pine logs. Ed Baucum is the engineer. Engine 4 was a Baldwin 4-6-0 steam locomotive that the TSE purchased in March 1904 from the Ragley Lumber Company for $3,500. It was sold to the Lufkin, Hemphill and Gulf Railway in November 1921. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: The History Center

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Office Interior]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company office. General manager W. J. Raef sits behind the desk with an unidentified assistant in the foreground. Note the telephone, electric light, heater, and a safe. Raef was general manager as early as 1903 but left the railroad in early 1908.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: The History Center

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 3 at the Southern Pine Lumber Company Mill Pond]

Description: Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 3 ready to unload logs into the Southern Pine Lumber Company mill pond. The photograph shows how mill pond workers would release the chained logs using poles. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
Date: 1903
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Commissary]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company commissary which included an express office, post office, and drug store. Built in 1901, this was the company's fourth commissary, the first being built in 1894, the second in 1898, and the third in early 1901 which was later destroyed by fire. The fourth commissary was originally 3,226 square feet but a 1902 addition increased the size to 5,612 square feet. The second story was added in 1907 which increased the size of the floor space to 10,384 square feet. The first floor contained the general store and the second floor held furniture and men's furnishing goods. W. P. Rutland was the manager and eleven others were employed. This commissary was replaced by a new one on the same site in 1923, which lasted until it was torn down in 2004.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: The History Center

[Six Southern Pine Lumber Company Dry Kilns]

Description: Photograph of six dry kilns built by the National Dry Kiln Company of Indianapolis, Indiana for the Southern Pine Lumber Company. This view is looking from the northeast. By 1907 the company had 12 kilns which held 544,400 feet of lumber.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: The History Center

[Thomas Lewis Latane Temple - 2]

Description: Photograph of Thomas Lewis Latane Temple, the founder and owner of the Southern Pine Lumber Company and Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company, seen in the company's main office in Texarkana, Arkansas.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: The History Center