American Lumberman Photographs of Southern Pine Lumber Company - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 7 "Dozier" Work]

Description: Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 7 and men performing "dozier" work on the right of way. Engine 7 was a 4-6-0 Baldwin locomotive built new for the TSE in 1906. It was later sold to Sand & Gravel Company of Columbus, Texas in 1938. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 1 Interior - South End]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 1 interior from the south end, showing mill machinery. It was also called the "yellow pine mill" because it cut yellow pine. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine. American Lumberman reports that in 1907 the mill had a daily capacity of 240,000 board feet of lumber and 65,000 feet of lath. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and rebuilt by September of that year.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 2]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 2 as viewed from a point slightly west of the dry kilns. This mill was built between December 1906 and April 1907. All sawmill equipment was in a 40x155 feet area and the lath mill annex was 28x60 feet. Although it was sometimes called the hardwood mill, it also cut pine. The mill's daily capacity during a daytime run was 60,000 feet of pine and 40,000 feet of hardwoods, with a day and night yellow pine capacity of 120,000 feet. Hardwoods were not cut at night. Sawmill 2 was dismantled in 1954.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 2 at Sunset]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill no. 2 as seen from across the mill pond at sunset. This mill was built between December 1906 and April 1907. All sawmill equipment was in a 40x155 feet area and the lath mill annex was 28x60 feet. Although it was sometimes called the hardwood mill, it also cut pine. The mill's daily capacity during a daytime run was 60,000 feet of pine and 40,000 feet of hardwoods, with a day and night yellow pine capacity of 120,000 feet. Hardwoods were not cut at night. Sawmill 2 was dismantled in 1954.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 2 Interior]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill no. 2, also called the hardwood mill. This view is from the log end and shows hardwood logs on a band saw dock, a band saw, and a company employee. This mill was built between December 1906 and April 1907. All sawmill equipment was in a 40x155 feet area and the lath mill annex was 28x60 feet. Although it was sometimes called the hardwood mill, it also cut pine. The mill's daily capacity during a daytime run was 60,000 feet of pine and 40,000 feet of hardwoods, with a day and night yellow pine capacity of 120,000 feet. Hardwoods were not cut at night. Sawmill 2 was dismantled in 1954.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmills]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmills from across the mill pond from a point 100 feet east of the locomotive water tank. The burner and water tower are shown between the sawmills. Sawmill 1, the yellow pine mill, is on the left and sawmill 2, the hardwood and pine mill is on the right.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Tennis Court]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company tennis court and club at play, while showing the lumber yard in the background. The company had an athletic society that was open to young men who held semiexecutive positions such as office workers. Baseball was another focus of the society.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Star Hotel - 2]

Description: Photograph of Diboll's Star Hotel, which was located across the Southern Pacific railroad tracks from the commissary. The hotel was built by 1903 and generally accommodated office personnel and traveling salesmen. It is where Southern Pine Lumber Company founder T. L. L. Temple stayed when visiting Diboll from Texarkana, Arkansas prior to the company library being built adjacent to the commissary circa 1908. The Star Hotel was remembered for its large dining room which fed up to thirty people at one time. The closure date is unknown but by 1939 the building had been torn down.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 8 in the Woods]

Description: Photograph of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 8 pulling a train of hardwood logs and McGiffert log loader 3. These logs were cut from the J. M. Walker league in Trinity County. The engine workers pose for the photograph. Engine 8 was a Shay locomotive built by the Lima Locomotive Works in March 1907. It was built new for the TSE and Southern Pine Lumber Company. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Office Interior]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company office. General manager W. J. Raef sits behind the desk with an unidentified assistant in the foreground. Note the telephone, electric light, heater, and a safe. Raef was general manager as early as 1903 but left the railroad in early 1908.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Thomas Lewis Latane Temple]

Description: Photograph of Thomas Lewis Latane Temple, the founder and owner of the Southern Pine Lumber Company and Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company, seen in the company's main office in Texarkana, Arkansas. This view is looking from L. D. Gilbert's office, who at this time was the secretary and treasurer.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Tie Wacker and Ox Team]

Description: Photograph of a Southern Pine Lumber Company tie whacker and a team of eight long horned oxen. The tie whacker would cut logs into railroad ties in the woods. This photograph is likely in Trinity County, Texas.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center