American Lumberman Photographs of Southern Pine Lumber Company - 255 Matching Results

Search Results

[Tie Wacker and Ox Team]

Description: Photograph of a Southern Pine Lumber Company tie whacker and a team of eight long horned oxen. The tie whacker would cut logs into railroad ties in the woods. This photograph is likely in Trinity County, Texas.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Water Tower at Sunset]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company's new water tower at sunset. The lumber yard is to the left of the tower and a sawmill is on the right. The water tower was used for fire protection and held 40,000 gallons.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Loading Dock]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company loading dock which was situated behind the commissary. This view is from the south end of the dock. Lumbermen pushing carts are depicted as well as freight cars on the right, including Pennsylvania Railroad car 93788. The planing mill is seen in the background. Note how the loading dock is curved.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Mill No. 2 from the Mill Pond]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill number 2 looking across the mill pond from the unloading dock of the yellow pine mill (mill no. 1). This mill was built between December 1906 and April 1907. All sawmill equipment was in a 40x155 feet area and the lath mill annex was 28x60 feet. Although it was sometimes called the hardwood mill, it also cut pine. The mill's daily capacity during a daytime run was 60,000 feet of pine and 40,000 feet of hardwoods, with a day and night yellow pine capacity of 120,000 feet. Hardwoods were not cut at night. Sawmill 2 was dismantled in 1954.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Planing Mill - Southwest]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company planing mill from the southwest. The January 18, 1908 issue of American Lumberman reports that the planing mill had one 8x30 sizer, one 8x18 sizer, four 15-inch No. 2 combination matchers, six 9-inch matchers, one 10-inch outside molder, one 15-inch inside molder, six swing cutoff saws, two resaws, two edgers, one lath machine, and two blowers. It was 252 by 80 feet in area, employed 43 people and had a daily capacity of 275,000 feet of lumber.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmil No. 1 from Mill Pond]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill no. 1 from across the mill pond with logs in the foreground. To the right is the log unloading dock. A mill pond worker is also shown standing on logs in the pond. Also known as "mill 1," it cut yellow pine. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine. American Lumberman reports that in 1907 the mill had a daily capacity of 240,000 board feet of lumber and 65,000 feet of lath. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and rebuilt by September of that year.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill 1 - Southeast]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 1 looking southeast across the unloading dock. Note the mill pond workers standing on logs in the middle of the pond. This mill cut yellow pine. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine. American Lumberman reports that in 1907 the mill had a daily capacity of 240,000 board feet of lumber and 65,000 feet of lath. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and rebuilt by September of that year.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center