American Lumberman Photographs of Southern Pine Lumber Company - 255 Matching Results

Search Results

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Mill No. 2 from the Mill Pond]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill number 2 looking across the mill pond from the unloading dock of the yellow pine mill (mill no. 1). This mill was built between December 1906 and April 1907. All sawmill equipment was in a 40x155 feet area and the lath mill annex was 28x60 feet. Although it was sometimes called the hardwood mill, it also cut pine. The mill's daily capacity during a daytime run was 60,000 feet of pine and 40,000 feet of hardwoods, with a day and night yellow pine capacity of 120,000 feet. Hardwoods were not cut at night. Sawmill 2 was dismantled in 1954.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Planing Mill - Southwest]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company planing mill from the southwest. The January 18, 1908 issue of American Lumberman reports that the planing mill had one 8x30 sizer, one 8x18 sizer, four 15-inch No. 2 combination matchers, six 9-inch matchers, one 10-inch outside molder, one 15-inch inside molder, six swing cutoff saws, two resaws, two edgers, one lath machine, and two blowers. It was 252 by 80 feet in area, employed 43 people and had a daily capacity of 275,000 feet of lumber.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmil No. 1 from Mill Pond]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill no. 1 from across the mill pond with logs in the foreground. To the right is the log unloading dock. A mill pond worker is also shown standing on logs in the pond. Also known as "mill 1," it cut yellow pine. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine. American Lumberman reports that in 1907 the mill had a daily capacity of 240,000 board feet of lumber and 65,000 feet of lath. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and rebuilt by September of that year.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill 1 - Southeast]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 1 looking southeast across the unloading dock. Note the mill pond workers standing on logs in the middle of the pond. This mill cut yellow pine. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine. American Lumberman reports that in 1907 the mill had a daily capacity of 240,000 board feet of lumber and 65,000 feet of lath. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and rebuilt by September of that year.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill 2 Interior - South]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 2 from the south, showing mill workers posing for the photograph. This mill was built between December 1906 and April 1907. All sawmill equipment was in a 40x155 feet area and the lath mill annex was 28x60 feet. Although it was sometimes called the hardwood mill, it also cut pine. The mill's daily capacity during a daytime run was 60,000 feet of pine and 40,000 feet of hardwoods, with a day and night yellow pine capacity of 120,000 feet. Hardwoods were not cut at night. Sawmill 2 was dismantled in 1954.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 1]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill number 1, burner, mill pond, and fuel house. This view is from atop the water tower. Also known as "mill 1," it cut yellow pine. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine. American Lumberman reports that in 1907 the mill had a daily capacity of 240,000 board feet of lumber and 65,000 feet of lath. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and replaced with a modern sawmill by September of that year.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Planing Mill - General View - 2]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company planing mill, viewed from atop the rough lumber shed. Here the lumber was dressed. The January 18, 1908 issue of American Lumberman reports that the planing mill had one 8x30 sizer, one 8x18 sizer, four 15-inch No. 2 combination matchers, six 9-inch matchers, one 10-inch outside molder, one 15-inch inside molder, six swing cutoff saws, two resaws, two edgers, one lath machine, and two blowers. It was 252 by 80 feet in area, employed 43 people and had a daily capacity of 275,000 feet of lumber.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Planing Mill Interior - North End]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Southern Pine Lumber Company planing mill from the north end. The January 18, 1908 issue of American Lumberman reports that the planing mill had one 8x30 sizer, one 8x18 sizer, four 15-inch No. 2 combination matchers, six 9-inch matchers, one 10-inch outside molder, one 15-inch inside molder, six swing cutoff saws, two resaws, two edgers, one lath machine, and two blowers. It was 252 by 80 feet in area, employed 43 people and had a daily capacity of 275,000 feet of lumber.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Planing Mill Interior - South End]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Southern Pine Lumber Company planing mill from the south end, showing mill machinery. The January 18, 1908 issue of American Lumberman reports that the planing mill had one 8x30 sizer, one 8x18 sizer, four 15-inch No. 2 combination matchers, six 9-inch matchers, one 10-inch outside molder, one 15-inch inside molder, six swing cutoff saws, two resaws, two edgers, one lath machine, and two blowers. It was 252 by 80 feet in area, employed 43 people and had a daily capacity of 275,000 feet of lumber.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Planing Mill from Water Tower]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company planing mill from atop the water tower. Also shown are men with lumber carts and stacks of lumber. The January 18, 1908 issue of American Lumberman reports that the planing mill had one 8x30 sizer, one 8x18 sizer, four 15-inch No. 2 combination matchers, six 9-inch matchers, one 10-inch outside molder, one 15-inch inside molder, six swing cutoff saws, two resaws, two edgers, one lath machine, and two blowers. It was 252 by 80 feet in area, employed 43 people and had a daily capacity of 275,000 feet of lumber.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 8]

Description: Photograph of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 8 at Vair station, Trinity County, Texas. Engine 8 was a Shay locomotive built by the Lima Locomotive Works in March 1907. It was built new for the TSE and Southern Pine Lumber Company. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center