American Lumberman Photographs of Southern Pine Lumber Company - 190 Matching Results

Search Results

[Hardwood Logs on the Unloading Dock]

Description: Photograph of four cars of hardwood logs on the unloading dock, showing the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 2 and new water tower and in the background. Mill 2 was also called the hardwood mill. Notice that hardwood logs were not unloaded into the mill pond, but rather rolled down an incline to the endless chain. The mill pond with floating pine logs and mill pond workers are also shown. This view is looking south from the north end of the unloading dock.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Commissary - Second Floor]

Description: Photograph of the second floor in the Southern Pine Lumber Company commissary showing furniture, men's clothing, and company employees. Built in 1901, this was the company's fourth commissary, the first being built in 1894, the second in 1898, and the third in early 1901 which was later destroyed by fire. The fourth commissary was originally 3,226 square feet but a 1902 addition increased the size to 5,612 square feet. The second story was added in 1907 which increased the size of the floor space to 10,384 square feet. The first floor contained the general store and the second floor held furniture and men's furnishing goods. W. P. Rutland was the manager and eleven others were employed. This commissary was replaced by a new one on the same site in 1923, which lasted until it was torn down in 2004.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Commissary - First Floor]

Description: Photograph of the first floor of the Southern Pine Lumber Company commissary. Built in 1901, this was the company's fourth commissary, the first being built in 1894, the second in 1898, and the third in early 1901 which was later destroyed by fire. The fourth commissary was originally 3,226 square feet but a 1902 addition increased the size to 5,612 square feet. The second story was added in 1907 which increased the size of the floor space to 10,384 square feet. The first floor contained the general store and the second floor held furniture and men's furnishing goods. W. P. Rutland was the manager and eleven others were employed. This commissary was replaced by a new one on the same site in 1923, which lasted until it was torn down in 2004.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Planing Mill - General View - 2]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company planing mill, viewed from atop the rough lumber shed. Here the lumber was dressed. The January 18, 1908 issue of American Lumberman reports that the planing mill had one 8x30 sizer, one 8x18 sizer, four 15-inch No. 2 combination matchers, six 9-inch matchers, one 10-inch outside molder, one 15-inch inside molder, six swing cutoff saws, two resaws, two edgers, one lath machine, and two blowers. It was 252 by 80 feet in area, employed 43 people and had a daily capacity of 275,000 feet of lumber.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center