American Lumberman Photographs of Southern Pine Lumber Company - 255 Matching Results

Search Results

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 1]

Description: Photograph of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company engine 1 at Vair station, Trinity County, Texas. Engine 1 was 4-4-0 steam locomotive built by Dickson Manufacturing Company circa 1884. It was original operated by either the Houston, East & West Texas Railway or the Kansas & Gulf Shortline. The TSE may have acquired it in 1898. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 8]

Description: Photograph of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 8 at Vair station, Trinity County, Texas. Engine 8 was a Shay locomotive built by the Lima Locomotive Works in March 1907. It was built new for the TSE and Southern Pine Lumber Company. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[McGiffert Log Loader 1]

Description: Photograph of Southern Pine Lumber Company's McGiffert log loader 1 near the company's logging camp 1 in Trinity County, Texas. Loader crewmen pose while loading logs onto rail cars.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 8 in the Woods]

Description: Photograph of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 8 pulling a train of hardwood logs and McGiffert log loader 3. These logs were cut from the J. M. Walker league in Trinity County. The engine workers pose for the photograph. Engine 8 was a Shay locomotive built by the Lima Locomotive Works in March 1907. It was built new for the TSE and Southern Pine Lumber Company. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[McGiffert Log Loader 3]

Description: Photograph of Southern Pine Lumber Company's McGiffert log loader 3 showing crewmen attaching a log to the loader's swinging boom. This loader was primarily used in hardwood logging operations. This is likely in Trinity County, Texas.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Tie Wacker and Ox Team]

Description: Photograph of a Southern Pine Lumber Company tie whacker and a team of eight long horned oxen. The tie whacker would cut logs into railroad ties in the woods. This photograph is likely in Trinity County, Texas.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 7]

Description: Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company's engine 7 and a train of twenty cars of pine logs. Engine 7 was a 4-6-0 Baldwin locomotive built new for the TSE in 1906. It was later sold to Sand & Gravel Company of Columbus, Texas in 1938. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Planing Mill - General View - 2]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company planing mill, viewed from atop the rough lumber shed. Here the lumber was dressed. The January 18, 1908 issue of American Lumberman reports that the planing mill had one 8x30 sizer, one 8x18 sizer, four 15-inch No. 2 combination matchers, six 9-inch matchers, one 10-inch outside molder, one 15-inch inside molder, six swing cutoff saws, two resaws, two edgers, one lath machine, and two blowers. It was 252 by 80 feet in area, employed 43 people and had a daily capacity of 275,000 feet of lumber.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center

[Saw Filing Room in Sawmill 1]

Description: Photograph of the saw filing room in the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 1, which was also called the yellow pine mill. Each saw tooth was sharpened one at a time. Notice the band saws on the floor and hanging from the ceiling. The saw filer was usually the highest paid worker in the mill other than management.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Partner: The History Center