About the Collection

The Aransas Pass Progress has served as the leading hometown news source for the "The Harbor City" and the surrounding area for 100 years. Founded by a young printing equipment salesman named W.H. Vernor, the newspaper was initially backed by a real estate firm working to promote a new town along the shores of Redfish Bay. The Progress has operated in the same location since the spring of 1946 when the newspaper moved into a new office on South Houston Street in Aransas Pass.

Addition of the Aransas Pass Progress to The Portal to Texas History was made possible through the support of a Tocker Foundation grant to the Ed & Hazel Richmond Public Library.



At a Glance