Belton Journal

Belton, Texas, county seat of Bell County, was plotted in 1850 under the name of Nolandville. Its name was changed to Belton in 1851 for then-Texas governor Peter Hansborough Bell, who also gave his name to Bell County. The Belton Journal has been published weekly since 1866 and represents a population of over 18,000 people. Digital access of the Belton Journal was generously supported by the Texas State Library and Archives Commission under a TexTreasures grant.

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

At a Glance

Description

Belton, Texas, county seat of Bell County, was plotted in 1850 under the name of Nolandville. Its name was changed to Belton in 1851 for then-Texas governor Peter Hansborough Bell, who also gave his name to Bell County. The Belton Journal has been published weekly since 1866 and represents a population of over 18,000 people. Digital access of the Belton Journal was generously supported by the Texas State Library and Archives Commission under a TexTreasures grant.