The Newspaper Collection of Bryan, Texas

About the Collection

The Bryan Eagle weekly paper was begun by Richard M. Smith in 1889. A daily edition, The Bryan Daily Eagle, began publishing in 1895. The Eagle was joined with the Brazos Pilot, founded in 1877, and became the Bryan Daily Eagle and Pilot in 1909. It was published as the Bryan Morning Eagle from 1989 to 1909 and The Bryan Daily Eagle from 1895 to 1898 and 1918 to 1969.


Part of a land grant from Spain to Moses Austin, the town of Bryan was originally settled and founded in 1821. After a period of rapid growth following the expansion of the Houston and Texas Central Railroad to the town post-1867, several newspapers competed for the area's readership.

At a Glance

Cite This Collection

Here is our suggested citation. Consult an appropriate style guide for conformance to specific guidelines.

The Newspaper Collection of Bryan, Texas in The Portal to Texas History. University of North Texas Libraries. accessed May 17, 2021.

Back to Top of Screen