Chalberg Collection of Prints and Negatives - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Camp Mabry railroad switch and arsenal

Description: Back reads, "This photograph shows the International & Great Northern Railroad main line. The ralroad switch runs by the arsenal which is shown on the left of the picture. The International & Great Northern Railroad will run a number of tracks in the camp or at any other place to suit the Government."
Date: 1915~
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Congress Avenue Bridge

Description: Congress Avenue bridge looking northwest towards downtown from the southeast corner. Skeleton of the Scarbrough Building under construction is in view.
Date: 1910
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Flood waters on Shoal Creek]

Description: Looking south from the bend in Shoal Creek at the corner of Nueces and West 4th Street. The railroad bridge at West 3rd is in view. The back of Quality Mills can be seen slightly obscured by trees.
Date: September 1915
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Penn Field

Description: Soldiers standing in formation during aviation training at Penn Field during first World War. Penn Field was located in south Austin, bordered by what is now South Congress, Woodward St. and Ben White Blvd.
Date: 1917/1918
Creator: Jordan Company
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Telephone operators

Description: Toll office set up at 400 Congress Avenue due to fire which destroyed the toll bank in the telephone building at 410 Congress. Pictured L-R: Miss Anna Koch (Mrs. R. M. Ewalt), Beulah Morrow (Mrs. Beulah Davis), Clarence Oliver (Traffic Supt. for Texas ), Mrs. A. C. Newton (Toll chief operator), S. U. Barron, Marguertie Doris (Mrs. Marguerite Ravenelli), Lillie McGee, Laura Foster (Mrs. Laura Raley), Ollie Joyce (Mrs. Ollie Peterson).
Date: July 1916
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library