Chalberg Collection of Prints and Negatives - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Austin Cotton Gin

Description: Austin Cotton Gin was owned by W. T. Caswell and was located on the west side of Chicon St. Horse-drawn wagons with bales of cotton. Workers pose for photograph. Hand-crank loading cranes on platform.
Date: 1900~
Creator: Caswell, W. T.
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Austin Cotton Gin

Description: Austin Cotton Gin was owned by W. T. Caswell and was located on the west side of Chicon St. Horse-drawn wagons full of cotton. Workers pose for photograph.
Date: 1900~
Creator: Caswell, W. T.
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Community Chest

Description: Group of women and the Mayor on the back of a fire engine. Back of the photo reads, "L-R: Mrs. Alden Davis, Mrs. Jess Walker (Ina). Mayor Tom Miller at right."
Date: October 10, 1941
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Congress Avenue Bridge

Description: Congress Avenue bridge looking northwest towards downtown from the southeast corner. Skeleton of the Scarbrough Building under construction is in view.
Date: 1910
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Dacy Shoe Store Display]

Description: Photograph of a window display of photographs of servicemen during World War II at Dacy's Shoe Store. A sign reads "Let's back-up these Austin boys by buying more and more defense stamps and bonds, save 10% of your salary."
Date: 194u
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Falstaff Beer Trucks]

Description: Beer trucks belonging to the Lightsey Carroll Company Distributors stand at the ready to deliver beer to thirsty Austinites. Featuring the Capitol in the background lends an air of legality to beer distribution, particularly considering that Prohibition had ended just five months before.
Date: May 25, 1934
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Flood waters on Shoal Creek]

Description: Looking south from the bend in Shoal Creek at the corner of Nueces and West 4th Street. The railroad bridge at West 3rd is in view. The back of Quality Mills can be seen slightly obscured by trees.
Date: September 1915
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Gearing Hall, Painter Hall and Lily Pond]

Description: Looking northeast from the lily pond behind the Tower on the University of Texas campus. Gearing Hall, known then as the Home Economics building, on the left and the Painter Hall, then the Physics building, on the right, are in view.
Date: September 1936
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library