This system will be undergoing maintenance Monday, January 23 from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM CST.

Chalberg Collection of Prints and Negatives - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

City of Austin and Vicinity

Description: Photograph of a map of Austin and surrounding area.
Date: 1839
Creator: Sandusky, W. H.
Item Type: Map
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Barton Creek Bridge

Description: Photograph of three women and a baby in front of the bridge.
Date: 1860/1890
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Grist Mill on Barton Springs

Description: Photograph of men on the banks of the springs. Horse-drawn carriage up on hill next to the mill.
Date: 1860
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Tightrope walker John Devier on Congress Avenue]

Description: Photograph of a crowd gathered to watch a tight rope walker. Caption reads, "Scene on Congress Avenue in 1867, showing exhibition by a tight-rope walker (Devier) across the Avenue from the historic old Avenue Hotel at Eighth and Congress, on East side. The carriage at the left, entering the Avenue, is that of Gov. E. M. Pease (Gov. from 1853-57 and 1867-69)."
Date: 1867
Creator: Jordan-Ellison
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Barton Creek Bridge

Description: Photograph of Barton Creek Bridge looking east.
Date: 1870/1890
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Carriages at Barton Creek]

Description: Photograph of two horse drawn carriages with several men and women. Barton Creek Bridge is in background.
Date: 1870/1890
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

July 4th parade

Description: The Hibernian Association made up of male musicians and a group of women in the same white dress parade up Congress Avenue towards the ice cream garden of Messrs. Rosenfield and Co. Other citizens watch from the sides while traffic of horses and buggies wait in the background.
Date: July 4, 1874
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Alexander Jackson Hamilton Funeral

Description: View of Capitol looking north. People crowded on the steps and to the east of the building.
Date: April 12, 1875
Creator: Hillyer, H. B.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Congress Avenue

Description: Photograph of Congress Avenue, looking north from between 5th and 6th streets. 1853 Capitol building in view.
Date: 1876
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Capitol under construction

Description: Photograph of the construction site for the current Capitol building, constructed 1881-1888. View is from the Travis County Courthouse located on 11th Street.
Date: 1881/1888
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Scottish Granite Cutters

Description: Group photo of men. Back of photograph reads, "Scottish granite cutters imported to cut granite at Granite Mountain."
Date: 1881/1888
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

The Burning Capitol

Description: View of the Capitol as it burns looking north from the corner of 11th and Congress.
Date: November 7, 1881
Creator: Hillyer, H. B.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Downtown Austin

Description: Photograph of downtown Austin with Capitol under construction. Caption reads, "Birdseye view of Austin, Texas taken from School for Deaf showing the Capitol Bldg under construction. Note that west wing of main bldg of University was only partly built at that time."
Date: 1882/1888
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Goddess of Liberty with Workers

Description: Capitol construction crews surrounding the Goddess of Liberty statue that was later placed on top of the Capitol dome. Right side, back row, fifth from right with mustache is identified as Hans Falkenberg. This original iteration of the Goddess was taken down during restoration of the Capitol in 1985, restored and eventually put on display at the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum.
Date: February 1888
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Capitol Dedication

Description: Parade south down Congress Avenue from the Capitol. Caption reads: "Chichasaw Guard from Murpheesburo, Tenn."
Date: 1888-05-14/1888-05-19
Creator: Jordan-Ellison
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Manor, Texas

Description: Street scene of Manor, Texas with horse-drawn carts.
Date: 1889
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Manor, Texas

Description: Street scene of Manor, Texas with horse-drawn carts.
Date: 1889
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Texas State Capitol

Description: View of the north side of the Texas State Capitol grounds from 17th St. Roads are unpaved and there is a group of girls under trees and a woman with a horse in the foreground.
Date: 1892
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library