Charles and Catherine Schulze Collection - 61 Matching Results

Search Results

Railroad Survey Crew Members Pose by Tents, c. 1902

Description: Five members of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf survey crew pose in front of a tent in their camp, c. 1902. The crew worked in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. In Texas, they worked a ten-mile stretch between Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas. They camped on Britain family land in the vicinity of modern-day Nursery Road and the Rock Island railroad track. Two of the crew members remained behind when the rest moved on to the next job. They purchased 80 acres of land from the English and founded the town of Irving along the tracks between Dallas and Fort Worth in 1903.
Date: 1902~
Partner: Irving Archives

C. P. Schulze, Sr., Home in Irving, Texas

Description: House of Charles Percy Schulze. This house was constructed in 1912 in Irving, Texas. Schulze married Virginia Tucker of Dallas that same year. C. P. Schulze was the brother of Irving's co-founder J. O. Schulze. J. O. returned to their hometown of Iowa City, Iowa, in 1905, leaving his business in the hands of his brother. C. P. Schulze remained in Irving and operated Irving Lumber Company from 1905 until his death in 1957. The Schulze family donated this house to the city of Irving in 1975, and today it is a 1910s-period house museum.
Date: 1913~
Partner: Irving Archives

J. O. Schulze, c. 1960

Description: Portrait of J. O. Schulze smoking a pipe, c. 1960. J. O. Schulze co-founded the city of Irving, Texas, in 1903. He was born in Iowa City, Iowa, in 1875. He was head of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew when he came to Texas. He left the crew and founded the town of Irving along the tracks of the CRI&G between Dallas and Fort Worth in December 1903. During the summer of 1903, he married Agnes Sueppel Schulze in Iowa City, Iowa.
Date: 1960~
Partner: Irving Archives

Railroad Survey Crew Poses Along the Side of a Ravine, c. 1902

Description: Members of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew pose along the banks of a ravine, c. 1902. The crew worked in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. While in Texas, they worked a ten-mile stretch between Dallas and Fort Worth. Two of the crew members remained behind and founded the town of Irving along the tracks between Dallas and Fort Worth in 1903.
Date: 1902~
Partner: Irving Archives

C. P. Schulze House in Irving, Texas

Description: House of Charles Percy Schulze. This house was constructed in 1912 in Irving, Texas. Schulze married Virginia Tucker of Dallas that same year. C. P. Schulze was the brother of Irving's co-founder J. O. Schulze. J. O. returned to their hometown of Iowa City, Iowa, in 1905, leaving his business in the hands of his brother. C. P. Schulze remained in Irving and operated Irving Lumber Company from 1905 until his death in 1957. The Schulze family donated this house to the city of Irving in 1975, and today it is a 1910s-period house museum.
Date: 1970~
Partner: Irving Archives

Railroad Survey Crew Poses on a Wagon, c. 1902

Description: Members of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf survey crew pose standing in a wagon, c. 1902. The survey crew worked in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. In Texas, they worked a ten-mile stretch between Dallas and Fort Worth. Two of the members remained in the area and founded the town of Irving along the tracks in 1903.
Date: 1902~
Partner: Irving Archives

J. O. Schulze's House in Irving, c. 1904

Description: Home of J. O. and Agnes Schulze in Irving, Texas, c. 1904. J. O. Schulze was the co-founder of the city of Irving in 1903. He and his wife built this house in Irving in about 1904. Due to Agnes's poor health, the couple had to return to Iowa City, Iowa in 1905. The house, which stood on the east side of Ohio Street in the first block south of present-day Irving Boulevard, burned in the mid-1980s.
Date: 1904~
Partner: Irving Archives

Virginia Tucker Schulze with Friends, 1910

Description: Three women on horseback. Virginia Tucker Schulze with friends at a ranch in Pyote, Texas. Back of photo reads: “First ride to Brown tank, Madeline, Henrietta and Virginia.” Virginia Schulze was married to C. P. Schulze, Sr. The Schulze family owned Irving Lumber Company from the town's inception in 1903 until the 1980s.
Date: [1908..1910]
Partner: Irving Archives

J. O. and Agnes Schulze, c. 1904

Description: J. O. Schulze and his wife Agnes Sueppel Schulze in the doorway of their home, c. 1904. J. O. Schulze co-foundef the city of Irving, Texas, in 1903. He married Agnes Sueppel during that same year. Both were natives of Iowa City, Iowa. Due to Agnes's poor health, the couple left Irving and returned to Iowa City in 1905. The man in the center of the doorway is unidentified.
Date: 1904~
Partner: Irving Archives

C. P. Schulze, Sr., c. 1915

Description: C. P. Schulze, Sr., in yard. Schulze was the brother of J. O. Schulze, who was the co-founder of the city of Irving. Both were members of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew. J. O. remained in Texas to found the town, and C. P. moved on with the crew. When J. O. and his wife had to return to Iowa City, Iowa, C. P. came to Irving and took over the lumber yard started by his brother. C. P. ran the lumber yard from 1905 until his death in 1957.
Date: 1915~
Partner: Irving Archives

Virginia Tucker Schulze on Horseback, 1910

Description: Virginia Tucker Schulze on horseback at a ranch in Pyote, Texas. Virginia was the wife of C. P. Schulze, Sr. The Schulze family owned the Irving Lumber Company form it inception in 1903 until it closed during the 1980s. Back of photo reads: "My first ride to Brown's tank, August 1910."
Date: [1908..1910]
Partner: Irving Archives

J. O. Schulze in Suit and Derby, c. 1904

Description: J. O. Schulze in suit, overcoat, and derby, c. 1904. J. O. Schulze was co-founder of the town of Irving, Texas, in December of 1903. He had been leader of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew that worked a ten-mile stretch between Dallas and Fort Worth. He and fellow crew member Otis Brown decided to remain in the area, and they established the town of Irving in 1903.
Date: 1904~
Partner: Irving Archives