From Plowshares to Diplomas: Digitizing Early Denton History - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Eagle Park Bleachers at the North Texas State College

Description: View of the field bleachers at Eagle Park at North Texas State College. Trees dot the foreground and tall, electric lights line the edges of the playing area. The field was constructed in 1913, and in 1927 steel stands were constructed to seat 2,200 on the west side of the field. The football field was part of "Eagle Park."
Date: 1935~
Partner: Denton Public Library

[Letter to Lota M. Spell]

Description: Mrs. William Williams wrote Lota M. Spell of Austin, Texas concerning the installation of a historical marker at the site of John Simpson Chisum's home. John Chisum was a cattle king in Denton County in the mid-1800s.
Date: 1936-04-25~
Creator: Williams, Mrs. William
Partner: Denton Public Library

[Letter to Mrs. Chambers from Texas State Library]

Description: Letter from Edwin Sue Goree, field worker of Texas State Library, to Mrs. W. B. Chambers, Chair of Library Club, Denton County Council, P.T.A., regarding the procurement of school books. Goree replied that the Texas State Library was not able to loan books or further assistance at present but suggested establishing a Denton county library.
Date: September 14, 1934
Creator: Goree, Edwin Sue
Partner: Denton Public Library

[Letter to Record-Chronicle from Mrs. W. B. Chambers]

Description: Letter to the Record-Chronicle newspaper in Denton, Texas from the Library Extension Committee of the Denton County Council of Parents and Teachers. The letter contains information about a traveling library that was created to provide books to rural schools.
Date: May 15, 1935
Creator: Denton County Council of P.T.A.
Partner: Denton Public Library

Old Timers Celebrate Fritz's Birthday

Description: The caption reads: Old Timers Celebrate Fritz's Birthday. These 14 old timers of Denton were photographed at a party celebrating Dr. E. W. Fritz's 84th birthday. They are, back row, left to right, Noah Batis, farmer; Mrs. J. W. Underwood; Mrs. F. E. Piner, wife of an early judge; Mrs. Ida Williams, whose husband was an early photographer; Mrrs. A. J. Kittrell, wife of an early cattleman; Mrs. J. S. Chapman, wife of a mining operator; Mrs. T. A. Robinson, wife of a cotton buyer, and Mrs. Cora Elliott, dressmaker. Front row, left to right, J. W. Shaw, a photographer, Dr. Fritz; Charles Wilkins, ranchmans; J. C. Parr, farmer, Mrs. C. C. Bell, and C. C. Bell, a farmer. (photo courtesy of Sam Fritz)
Date: May 23, 1930
Partner: Denton Public Library

[Original F. M. Bralley Library of TSCW]

Description: Photograph of F. M. Bralley Library of Texas State College for Women, now known as Texas Woman's University. The building was opened in 1927. A stream and bridge are visible in front of the library. The library has four columns with Ionian capitals and a bell tower on the roof.
Date: 1935~
Creator: Carruth Studio
Partner: Denton Public Library