From Plowshares to Diplomas: Digitizing Early Denton History - 1,687 Matching Results

Search Results

[Exterior of Little Chapel-in-the-Woods]
A stone pathway leads to the doors of the Little Chapel-in-the-Woods of Texas State College for Women, now known as Texas Woman's University. The brick building possesses a large round stained-glass window on the front above the door and a cross on the roof.
[The Western Presbyter]
The Western Presbyter, a weekly publication from Cumberland Presbyterian, contains information about the state of the church.
[The Western Presbyter]
The Western Presbyter, a weekly publication from Cumberland Presbyterian, contains information about the state of the church.
[The Western Presbyter]
The Western Presbyter, a weekly publication from Cumberland Presbyterian, contains information about the state of the church.
[The Western Presbyter]
The Western Presbyter, a weekly publication from Cumberland Presbyterian, contains information about the state of the church.
[1890] Denton Business Review and Directory
This Denton business review was published as a guide for the farmers and residents of Denton county outside of the city. The directory includes descriptions of Denton's agricultural resources, commercial advantages, and business institutions.
1894 Denton Business Directory and Handy Guide
This business directory of Denton county includes business advertisements and information regarding updates in the county circa 1894.
El Fenix Cafe
The El Fenix Cafe menu contains the names and prices of their dishes, desserts, and beverages. The restaurant offered cocktails and relishes, salads, sandwiches, eggs and omelettes, soups, chicken and steak dinners, nonalcoholic beverages, wines, beer, fish, and a variety of Mexican dishes. The Special Mexican Dinner cost $1.25 at the time of this menu. A poem by James J. Metcalfe is written on the back of the menu.
[Denton County Alliance Delegates Certificate]
Photograph of a Delegates Certificate for the County Alliance of Denton, Texas from July 12th, 1886. A State Democratic Convention ribbon from Houston, Texas, 1892, is also visible. It is sign by J.W. cook, president and Charles A. McMeans, secretary.
[Denton business directory and advertisements]
This card contains advertisements for early Denton commerce. The advertisements include banks, saloons, grocers, drug stores, hardware stores, galleries, hotels, restaurants, and feed stores. We believe the card was created sometime in the year of 1895 based on the advertisement for The Denton Hotel which said it was the successor to Pierce House. We found no other newspaper advertisements for Pierce House after February of 1895.
White House Cafe menu
This White House Cafe menu displays their selection and prices for breakfast, steaks, sandwiches, and drinks. The White House Cafe was located at 505 S. Locust St. in Denton, Texas from c1938-1959. It was owned and operated by William Dorris Brown (1920-2017) and his wife Lorene Brown. In 1953, they advertised that they were open 24 hours a day, except for Mondays, offered curb service around the clock, and served meat that was "home killed."
Shoe Ration booklet from Leonard National Bank
Shoe ration booklet from the Leonard National Bank in Leonard, Texas; the booklet contains 8 receipt stubs followed by 40 blank receipts.
Ju-cy Pig Stand menu
The Ju-cy Pig Stand menu contains a list, description, and prices for the items available for purchase. The menu includes special plates, Suzi-Q specials, soups, salads, steaks, fountain specials, and sandwiches. The obverse of the menu contains an illustration of the Ju-cy Pig logo and an illustration of the establishment. The menu's reverse includes a brief history of the restaurant under the ownership of J. C. Burch and a description of remodeling that had taken place during 1933 to 1941.
I.O.O.F. Cemetery Deed
The deed contains C. C. Bell's purchase of the Odd Fellows' Cemetery, located in Denton, Texas, for the sum of twenty dollars on June 13th, 1887. The deed was drafted and signed in the Denton Lodge, No. 82, of the I.O.O.F.
Woman's Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church
Booklet contains a list of special meetings, an order of business, and a course of study. The booklet also contains the society's motto, officers, and committees. A detailed order of services of each meeting during the 1919-1920 is included.
Hamilton's Drug Store menu
This Hamilton's Drug Store menu includes sodas, fruit juices, soups, sandwiches, and salads. The menu also includes some information about the drug store. Hamilton's Drug Store grand opening was on a Tuesday morning, June 15, 1941. It was located on the corner of Fry and Hickory Street. The owners were W. P. Hamilton and E. C. Perryman. The business had a pharmacy, a complete soda fountain, a cosmetics area, and an assortment of sporting goods, picnic supplies, cigarettes, tobacco, candy, gum, stationary, cards, magazines, first aid supplies, baby foods and accessories.
[Denton Community Theater presents "Bus Stop"]
The program for "Bus Stop" presented by the Denton Community Theater contains advertisements for Denton area businesses including banks, grocers, pharmacies, auto dealers, insurance agencies, general stores. The program also lists the cast, a synopsis of the scenes, special credits, board of directors, patrons, and the production and business staff.
Spring Trade! Fain, Peery, and Shelton!!
An 1882 advertisement for Fain, Peery, and Shelton claims the very latest style from New York and other eastern markets. Dress goods, buntings, lawns, alpaccas, cashmeres, carpets, etc. are sold at this department store on the east side of the square.
[Atrium at the Emily Fowler Public Library]
View of the east end of the upper level of the Emily Fowler Library, Denton Public Library as seen from the west end of the atrium.
Neff Street Looking South from Collins
View of unpaved Neff Street looking South from Collins. Houses border the street on either side, while power lines are only on the right side of the road. In the distance, trees can be seen on both sides of the road.
Stuart Road Looking North from Sherman Drive
View of unpaved Stuart Road looking north from Sherman Drive. Trees and power lines border the road on either side, further down the street houses can be seen on both sides of the road.
[Eagle Drive Looking West]
View of Eagle Drive, Denton, Texas, looking west from an unknown intersection. Two manhole covers are visible in the foreground and houses, trees, and power lines border the road on either side.
Jacqueline Street
A view down Jacqueline Street; a paved road bordered by trees on both sides and power lines on the right side of the street.
Men Repairing Street
Two unidentified men repair an unidentified, paved street as Conrad Callicut, in the suit, looks on. A car is parked behind the men on the side of the street.
[Construction of City of Denton Service Center]
Looking at the site of the City of Denton Service Center (construction currently underway) from the right end. The foundation has been poured for the section in the foreground.
[Construction of City of Denton Service Center]
View of the interior of the City of Denton Service Center building during construction, looking from the water meter shop toward the sanitation section. The building is empty except for construction materials, a small truck, and two men at the far end of the service center. The man on the left is kneeling and partly obscured by a brick wall while the man on the right is standing and looking towards the kneeling man.
[Construction of City of Denton Service Center]
Looking south at the interior of the City of Denton Service Center during construction from the north end of the garage. A small, free-standing office with an open door can be seen at the end of the empty garage.
Park Board Members Crillon Payne and Dr. Jack Watson Standing By Map
Park board members Crillon Payne, left, and Dr. Jack Watson, right stand in front of a map.
[Andy Anderson in City of Denton Police Car with Presents; Santa Claus Leans Against Car]
Andy Anderson sits at the wheel of a City of Denton police car loaded with Christmas gifts in a parking lot while Santa Claus leans against the car.
Frank Barrow Presenting Certificate to Unidentified Man
Frank Barrow presents a certificate to an unidentified man , certifying that the Denton Public Utility Service is actively participating in the national "Live Better Electrically Medallion Home Program" and has established specific electrical requirements for new homes.
Two Girls Playing in Yard
Two unidentified girls playing in a yard with a picket fence.
[L. A. Nelson]
L. A. Nelson, who served as Mayor (1969-70) and City Council member for the City of Denton from 1966 to 1970 and again in 1974. He looks down and to the left into a book he is holding. He is standing in front of a wall of law books.
[Construction of City of Denton Service Center]
Site for the City of Denton Service Center taken from the west (the motor pool). Trucks can be seen on the far end of the cleared, dirt site, as can a number of buildings.
[Construction of City of Denton Service Center]
Two unidentified men set a wooden board in place during construction of the City of Denton Service Center. The view is of the garage exit, east side, north end.
I35W (to Fort Worth) Under Construction
Snapshot of I35W (to Forth Worth) under construction. A complete bridge can be seen leading into the photograph from the right side of this panoramic image, while construction equipment is visible further down the road in the back left corner. Pilot Knob can be seen in the background.
Four Unidentified Men at the Power Plant
Four unidentified men in white shirts and ties are standing bottom center candidly in front of the power plant.
Four Unidentified Men at the Power Plant
Four unidentified men in white shirts and ties are standing bottom center candidly in front of the power plant. One of the men has his back to the camera.
Four Unidentified Men at the Power Plant
Four unidentified men in white shirts and ties are standing bottom center candidly in front of the power plant. One of the men has his back to the camera.
[70,000-lb steam drum being lifted at City of Denton Municipal Generating Station]
A crane is lifting a 70,000-lb steam drum in the center of the plane. The steam drum is part of a boiler at the steam power plant.
Strickland Junior High School, Under Construction
Strickland Junior High School under construction. Four unidentified construction workers can been seen in the left-hand side of the image.
First Baptist Church, Malone Street, Denton, TX
Photograph of the front side of First Baptist Church, Malone Street, Denton, Texas, receding at an angle into the back left of the frame.
[Photograph of Hickory Creek]
Photograph of Hickory Creek. The water curves in a half circle from the left side of the image and the creek moves out of the frame to the bottom-right.
[Photograph of Hickory Creek]
Photograph of Hickory Creek. The water curves in a half circle from the left side of the image and the creek moves out of the frame to the bottom-right.
[City of Denton: City Council Chambers]
Denton city council chambers in the Denton City Council chambers in the 1927 City Hall at 221 N. Elm. before remodeling. The photo is of the balcony area where three rows of theatre-style seats can be seen facing to the left.
[City of Denton: City Council Chambers]
Denton City Council chambers in the 1927 City Hall at 221 N. Elm. Chairs and the Texas' and United States' flags are up on stage. On the floor a center aisle has been cleared between two blocks of chairs. This was also the location of the old Fire House Theater of the Denton Community Theater.
H.L. Russell
Head-to-thigh picture of H. L. Russell, city employee, standing in front of a desk that is pushed up against a brick wall. Russell's name can also be read on the embroidered patch on his shirt.
[Carlos Wesley Anthony]
Head-to-thigh photograph of Carlos Wesley (Tony) Anthony, who was a water treatment engineer for the City of Denton. He is standing in front of a desk that is pushed up against a brick wall. Anthony's head starts in the center of the frame and the top of the image is featureless.
Oleta Trapp
Head to waist portrait of Oleta Trapp (Mrs. Russell Trap), formerly Oleta McNary.
[Photograph of Hickory Creek]
Photograph of Hickory Creek. The water curves in a half circle from the left side of the image and the creek moves out of the frame to the bottom-right.
Interior of Animal Pound, Still Under Construction
Interior view of the animal pound, still under construction, looking from the overheard door toward the area where the pen cells will be. A pile of construction materials fill the foreground of the image.