From Plowshares to Diplomas: Digitizing Early Denton History - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Photograph of Hickory Creek]

Description: Photograph of Hickory Creek. The water curves in a half circle from the left side of the image and the creek moves out of the frame to the bottom-right.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Denton Public Library

[Photograph of Hickory Creek]

Description: Photograph of Hickory Creek. The water curves in a half circle from the left side of the image and the creek moves out of the frame to the bottom-right.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Denton Public Library

Frame House with Horse and Buggy

Description: Snapshot of a frame house behind a picket fence with a horse-drawn buggy and two unidentified indivduals in the yard. A horse-drawn wagon is in the foreground in front of the picket fence.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Denton Public Library

Exterior of the Merchant Tailor Company

Description: Exterior of the Boylan Tailor Shop and R.K. Rains' Barbershop, located on the north side of the square. There is a buggy in the foreground to the right. The tailor shop was originally opened by F.J. Boylan, the second man from the right, his stepsons, John W. and Walter R. "Rube" Scott are to his left, an unidentified African-American male stands on the far right. A barbershop pole and two signs hang from the shop to the right. The signs say: Hot & Cold Baths; and R.K. Rains. Richard Kerr Rains owned the R.K. Rains Barber Shop until he sold his business in April of 1910 to Ed Roberts. In 1912, the Boylan & Co., Merchant and Scott Tailoring Co. combined and formed the Scott Tailor Company. According to the 1910 Census, John W. Scott was 23 in 1910, his occupation was listed as "Tailor" and he owned the business. Walter R. Scott was 27 and his occupation was "Tailor in men's clothing." Later, in the 1923 Retail Merchants' Association's Denton City Directory, the brothers have several businesses: John W. Tailoring Co., on the west side of the square; Walter Scott was the Manager of the North Side Tailor Shop, and also listed as the "Proprietor" of a Dry Cleaning & Press Shop, also located on the north side.
Date: 1909?
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Denton Public Library

Wright Opera House and Parlin and Orendorff

Description: Building on the corner of the Denton Square which includes the Wright Opera House and Parlin and Orendorff. A horse-drawn wagon and several unidentified men are pictured
Date: 1900~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Denton Public Library

Chautauqua Parade

Description: Chautauqua parade with horses and buggies down a dirt road. Of the individuals visible the only ones identified are: Charles and Effie Wiliams, Bunny and Clara Hann Phinizy, Julia and Bill Branche, Jack Christal, and Albert Erwin.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Denton Public Library

[Unidentified family in front of home]

Description: Photograph of an unidentified family standing in front of their house. A boy is holding the lead rope of a horse. Two men wearing cowboy hats are standing beside the boy. Another boy is standing in between the men and is wearing a cap. A woman and a girl stand beside the men and are wearing dresses and tea hats. The girl is holding a large doll. The house, two other small buildings, a horse-drawn carriage, and a windmill are visible in the background.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Denton Public Library