Gillespie County Newspaper Collection

Gillespie County, located in the western central Texas Hill County, includes the county seat of Fredericksburg, a prominent German settlement. As a result, the German-language Fredericksburger Wochenblatt was the earliest newspaper published in the county, beginning in 1877. Three weekly newspapers served Gillespie County into the 1980s: the Fredericksburg Standard, established in 1888, and Radio Post, established in 1922, and The Harper Herald, also established in 1922. The Harper Herald continued as a weekly publication into the last decade of the 20th century. The Harper (Texas) Chamber of Commerce, and later Martha Stevens, published the semi-weekly Harper News from 2009-2013 with a focus on community news. The Fredericksburg Standard-Radio Post, formed in 1984 by the merging of the Standard and Radio Post, continues to cover local and county news for Gillespie County residents.



At a Glance