George Ranch Museum Collection - Browse
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
- [Photograph of J.H.P. Davis on a horse]
- Photograph of J.H.P. Davis on a horse in the rear J.H.P. Davis House yard. He is turned around in the saddle facing backwards toward camera. Dark/black horse being unharnessed by a young African-American man. The child in front of the surrey (between Davis and young man) is presumably Davis George. The barn on the left side of the photograph has initials, possibly "J H P D" crudely carved in the wood. There is a stack of building materials/equipment on the right side of the photograph. Trees in right background.
- [A boy standing behind a child in the yard of the J.H.P. Davis house]
- Photograph of an African-American boy standing behind an Anglo child in the yard to the rear of the J.H.P. Davis House. The African-American boy may be the son of George/Frank Simpson and the Anglo child may be Davis George. There is a black and white dog to the left and a black dog to the right of the photograph. Partial view of a wagon (two-horse single board) on far left, fence around tree, shed addition to the barn all in background.
- [Albert Peyton George smoking a cigar astride a small mule]
- Photograph of Albert Peyton George astride a small mule. He is wearing a striped suit, white shirt, tie, and golf cap. He has a cigar in his mouth. There is an umbrella across the saddle in front of him. Trees in background. The photograph is mounted on a tan cardboard substrate. Back of photograph in black ink: "Albert George." The photograph may be taken in Hot Springs, Arkansas because of the similarities in surroundings to photograph 2000.022.003. Image dimensions are: 11.4 cm x 17.9 cm.
- [Albert Peyton George and an unidentified man astride saddled mules]
- Photograph of Albert Peyton George and an unidentified man astride saddled mules. In this Sepiatone professional outdoors photograph, the two men are holding black umbrellas in their left hands and fans in their right hands. Both are wearing slacks, jackets, and hats. Man on right has a cigar in his mouth. A limb extends across the length of the (bottom) foreground. Trees in background. The photograph is mounted on a cardboard substrate. The back of the photograph has a picture of a town with crowd of people labeled "M'Leodsville.--Happy Hollow." Printed in black under picture and label: "HAPPY HOLLOW for outdoor amusements. FREE ENTERTAINMENT every pleasant day. Cages open all the time. DONKEYS and PONIES for mountain rides and phuny fotos. All owned and managed by McLEOD, THE WILD WEST PHOTOGRAPHER, Hot Springs, Ark." In black ink in back at top: "Left - Albert George". Image dimensions are: 11.3 cm x 17.5 cm.
- [Two people in the doorway of the J.H.P. Davis Bank building]
- Photograph of the J.H.P. Davis Bank building in Richmond, Texas. The two story stucco and brick building has a turret at the corner with a sign near top that reads: "Beasley & George" and above the corner entrance " Bank". There are two men standing on the top step of the entrance. A third person (blurred image) is standing beneath the canopy on far left of the building. Another canopy (folded) is near a set of steps on far right of building. Two utility poles are located along the sidewalk with two boxed trees between the utility poles. There is a man standing beneath a canopy on far right (rear) of the building. There is partial view of another business in the white wooden building on far left of photograph. Pencil writing on the back of the photograph reads: "Old Bank Building 1895 built Albert George Beasley".
- [Trees in front of the J.H.P. Davis house]
- Photograph of the J.H.P. Davis house. The house is a white wooden two story home with first and second story porches. The porches have wooden railing and round white columns for support. This photograph shows the north/east faï¿½ade of the house. Note the water tank to the west (right of photo) side of the house that was built in September - October 1895 and was painted by December 21, 1895. Brick chimneys are visible on the east and west sides of the house. There is a portico on the east side. A small building with dome shaped roof is located between the main house and the storage tank. The house is enclosed by a white picket fence with three trees on outside of fence. Page attached to the back of the photograph has writing in black ink that reads: "Early J. H. P. Davis House". Information provided by "Internship Report Davis Complex Research/Planning George Ranch Historical Park" by Michael Moore. This photograph were given to the George Foundation by the Fort Bend Museum.