Photograph of the door to the Commissioner's Courtroom in the Lamar County Courthouse located in downtown Paris, Texas. This image shows a stained-wood door with transom, marble wainscot, and marble floor typical of the architecture in the building. Some woodwork in the courtroom is visible through the glass of the door.
Photograph of a set of stairs in the hallway of a building in Paris, Texas. Two wooden benches are visible, one on either side of the stairs. An elevator is visible to the right, and there is a lamp hanging from the ceiling.
Interior photograph of the south entrance of the Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas. This image shows a wall, ceiling, corner, and wood door frame typical of the architecture in the courthouse. South,main entrance.
Photograph of the mail boxes inside the west entrance of the Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas. The marble wainscot and marble floors are consistent with the architecture in most of the building.
Photograph of benches pushed against the wall in the hallway of a building in Paris, Texas. A staircase is visible to the left, and in the background, a man sits on one of the benches. Several evenly spaced lamps hang from the ceiling.
Photograph of the details of the stairs, hand rails, and third-floor landing of a staircase in the Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas. A light fixture is visible in the third floor hallway.
Photograph of stairs from the second floor to the first floor in the Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas. The stair steps and the floor are marble. The hand rails are stained wood and the wainscot under the hand rails is a white marble wainscot with metal fasteners.
Photograph of the stairs to the third floor in the Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas. The white marble wainscot along the walls continues up and down the stairs. The floor is small tile, in a color to match the walls above the wainscot. The wood door near the stairs ends at the top of the wainscot, including detailed finish work. A light fixture is also visible above the landing.
Photograph of a second-floor hallway in the Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas. Architectural aspects of the building include small tiles on the floor, white marble wainscots at the stairs, brown wainscots in the center of the hallway with a white marble base at the floor, and light fixtures hanging in the center of the hallway.
Photograph of a light fixture and wall detail inside the District Courtroom of the Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas. This image shows the fixture as viewed from the balcony in the courtroom.
Photograph of the ceiling and wall at the Judge's Bench in the District Courtroom of the Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas. One significant aspect of the architecture is the inclusion of "Bible Scrolls" on the ceiling.
Photograph of two black-and-white photographs on the wall of the Lamar County Courthouse in Paris, Texas. The top one is the southeast corner of the 1896 Courthouse that burned in the 1916 fire; the bottom one is the present courthouse soon after it was finished. Note the architectural similarities in the mid-sections of the walls, especially on the lower floor and the east entrance.
Photograph of a circular concrete block painted with the Coca-Cola logo and the words "Bottling Company of Paris 100th Anniversary 1906-2006". A bush and part of a brick building are visible in the background.
Photograph of art painted on the windows of a building in Paris, Texas, including paintings of a Diet Coke bottle, a Sprite bottle, and a Coke bottle. The Coca-Cola logo is painted on the window to the far right.
Photograph of the Union Station railroad depot in Paris, Texas, visible from West Bonham Street. This building, built in 1912, escaped the 1916 fire. It has Prairie-style architecture with some Italinate features.
Photograph of the Blue Star Memorial Highway Marker, a tribute to the veterans who have served. Located on the grounds of the Union Station depot, next to Highway 82, Bonham Avenue, west side of downtown Paris, Texas.
Photograph of an SHSC (State Historical Survey Committee) marker commemorating the Central National Road started by the Republic of Texas in 1844. The road beagan at the mouth of the Elm Fork of the Trinity River, passed through Milam County and downtown Paris, Texas, where this marker is placed at Union Station west of the downtown area. Text of the marker reads: "Central National Road of the Republic of Texas. Designed as a military highway, intended to make linkage with United States military road built to the north of the Red River in the 1820's. This was part of the national effort of Republic of Texas to open a good road system. Congress in 1839 passed a bill for a road east from Washington-on-the-Brazos to the Sabine River; 1841 legislation called for a road from the Nueces to the Red River and another from Austin to Santa Fe, New Mexico. The Central National Road was created in 1844, to reach from mouth of the Elm Fork on the Trinity to Kiomatia Crossing on the Red. It went down a main street in Paris, which was founded in 1844; near its south end was the 1841 John Neely Bryan home, around which the city of Dallas originated. Major George W. Stell surveyed the 130-mile route. Plans called for a road 30 feet wide and a clear of tree stumps over 12 inches high. For each mile of road built (including bridges), grants of 160 acres of public lands were offered. Commissioners were Roland W. Box, Harrison county; James Bradshaw, Nacogdoches County; William M. Williams and Jason Wilson, Lamar County; John Yeary, Fannin County. The route is roughly followed by later roads. (1968)"
Photograph of the upper detail of the west end of the south face of the Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas. The decorations are consistent on all four sides of the courthouse and are in the Classic Revival style on the upper floors. A line of pigeons is visible on the edge of the roof.
Photograph of the upper-west end of the south side of the Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas showing the details of the stonework along the top of the building. A carved shield and eagle stands out. These are Classic Revival ornaments. A flock of pigeons is roosting along the edge of the roof.