Jim Bell Texas Architecture Collection - 352 Matching Results

Search Results

Lamar County Courthouse Photographs

Description: Photograph of two black-and-white photographs on the wall of the Lamar County Courthouse in Paris, Texas. The top one is the southeast corner of the 1896 Courthouse that burned in the 1916 fire; the bottom one is the present courthouse soon after it was finished. Note the architectural similarities in the mid-sections of the walls, especially on the lower floor and the east entrance.
Date: November 13, 2008
Creator: Bell, Jim
Partner: Private Collection of Jim Bell

[Circular Concrete Block]

Description: Photograph of a circular concrete block painted with the Coca-Cola logo and the words "Bottling Company of Paris 100th Anniversary 1906-2006". A bush and part of a brick building are visible in the background.
Date: November 13, 2008
Creator: Bell, Jim
Partner: Private Collection of Jim Bell

[Window Art]

Description: Photograph of art painted on the windows of a building in Paris, Texas, including paintings of a Diet Coke bottle, a Sprite bottle, and a Coke bottle. The Coca-Cola logo is painted on the window to the far right.
Date: November 13, 2008
Creator: Bell, Jim
Partner: Private Collection of Jim Bell

Union Station in Paris, Texas

Description: Photograph of the Union Station railroad depot in Paris, Texas, visible from West Bonham Street. This building, built in 1912, escaped the 1916 fire. It has Prairie-style architecture with some Italinate features.
Date: November 13, 2008
Creator: Bell, Jim
Partner: Private Collection of Jim Bell

[Old Union Station in Paris]

Description: Photograph of the Old Union Station building in Paris, Texas. A marker to the right reads "Blue Star Memorial Highway". Cars are parked in the background to the left.
Date: November 13, 2008
Creator: Bell, Jim
Location Info:
Partner: Private Collection of Jim Bell

SHSC Historical Marker Central National Road 1844

Description: Photograph of an SHSC (State Historical Survey Committee) marker commemorating the Central National Road started by the Republic of Texas in 1844. The road beagan at the mouth of the Elm Fork of the Trinity River, passed through Milam County and downtown Paris, Texas, where this marker is placed at Union Station west of the downtown area. Text of the marker reads: "Central National Road of the Republic of Texas. Designed as a military highway, intended to make linkage with United States military road built to the north of the Red River in the 1820's. This was part of the national effort of Republic of Texas to open a good road system. Congress in 1839 passed a bill for a road east from Washington-on-the-Brazos to the Sabine River; 1841 legislation called for a road from the Nueces to the Red River and another from Austin to Santa Fe, New Mexico. The Central National Road was created in 1844, to reach from mouth of the Elm Fork on the Trinity to Kiomatia Crossing on the Red. It went down a main street in Paris, which was founded in 1844; near its south end was the 1841 John Neely Bryan home, around which the city of Dallas originated. Major George W. Stell surveyed the 130-mile route. Plans called for a road 30 feet wide and a clear of tree stumps over 12 inches high. For each mile of road built (including bridges), grants of 160 acres of public lands were offered. Commissioners were Roland W. Box, Harrison county; James Bradshaw, Nacogdoches County; William M. Williams and Jason Wilson, Lamar County; John Yeary, Fannin County. The route is roughly followed by later roads. (1968)"
Date: November 13, 2008
Creator: Bell, Jim
Partner: Private Collection of Jim Bell

Lamar County Courthouse

Description: Photograph of the upper-south face of the 1917 Classic Revival-style Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas, taken from the southeast corner of the building.
Date: November 13, 2008
Creator: Bell, Jim
Partner: Private Collection of Jim Bell

Lamar County Courthouse Eagles

Description: Photograph of the upper detail of the west end of the south face of the Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas. The decorations are consistent on all four sides of the courthouse and are in the Classic Revival style on the upper floors. A line of pigeons is visible on the edge of the roof.
Date: November 13, 2008
Creator: Bell, Jim
Partner: Private Collection of Jim Bell

Lamar County Courthouse Shield

Description: Photograph of the upper-west end of the south side of the Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas showing the details of the stonework along the top of the building. A carved shield and eagle stands out. These are Classic Revival ornaments. A flock of pigeons is roosting along the edge of the roof.
Date: November 13, 2008
Creator: Bell, Jim
Partner: Private Collection of Jim Bell

Front of the Lamar County Courthouse

Description: Photograph of the upper-west end and face of the south side of the Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas. The courthouse is predominately in the "Classic Revival" style, however the first floor entrances are very similar to the previous courthouse, in the "Romanesque" style. Many of the early craftsmen and architects were not native Texans and the courthouse styles reflect that diversity.
Date: November 13, 2008
Creator: Bell, Jim
Partner: Private Collection of Jim Bell

[Lamar County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of the front of the Lamar County courthouse in Paris, Texas. There are three stories of windows visible, and there are carvings at the top of the courthouse.
Date: November 13, 2008
Creator: Bell, Jim
Location Info:
Partner: Private Collection of Jim Bell

[Lamar County Courthouse Columns]

Description: Photograph of the south entrance of the 1917 Lamar County Courthouse in Paris, Texas. The courthouse is of mixed styles; the architecture over the entrance (in the lower part of the photograph) is a Romanesque-style entry while the part above the arched entrance is 1917 Classic Revival style.
Date: November 13, 2008
Creator: Bell, Jim
Location Info:
Partner: Private Collection of Jim Bell