Photograph of the upper-south entrance of the Classic Revival-style, 1917 Lamar County courthouse. The upper details of the stonework include carved eagles, carved shields, fluted columns, and medallions, set off by quarry-faced limestone walls and pilasters. The words "Lamar County Court House" are written across the front of the building hear the roof and there are light fixtures above the shield over the door.
Photograph of a portion of the first floor hallway of the Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas. Architectural aspects of the building include marble floors and wainscots. Wooden benches and ornamental light fixtures are also visible in this section of the hallway.
Photograph of the door to the Commissioner's Courtroom in the Lamar County Courthouse located in downtown Paris, Texas. This image shows a stained-wood door with transom, marble wainscot, and marble floor typical of the architecture in the building. Some woodwork in the courtroom is visible through the glass of the door.
Photograph of the mail boxes inside the west entrance of the Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas. The marble wainscot and marble floors are consistent with the architecture in most of the building.
Interior photograph of the south entrance of the Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas. This image shows a wall, ceiling, corner, and wood door frame typical of the architecture in the courthouse. South,main entrance.
Photograph of a second-floor hallway in the Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas. Architectural aspects of the building include small tiles on the floor, white marble wainscots at the stairs, brown wainscots in the center of the hallway with a white marble base at the floor, and light fixtures hanging in the center of the hallway.
Photograph of stairs from the second floor to the first floor in the Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas. The stair steps and the floor are marble. The hand rails are stained wood and the wainscot under the hand rails is a white marble wainscot with metal fasteners.
Photograph of a light fixture and wall detail inside the District Courtroom of the Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas. This image shows the fixture as viewed from the balcony in the courtroom.
Photograph of a light fixture, next to a fluted column, over the east entrance of the Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas. Some of the building's light fixtures are reproductions based on the original designs.
Photograph of upper detail on the Lamar County courthouse in Paris, Texas, showing the upper-east end on the south side of the building. The ornamentation includes carved eagles on the frieze, a cornice, and a carved "shield" on the cap. Carved stone and large, stand-out relief including carved eagles, shields, and medallions are characteristics of Classic Revival-style architecture.
Photograph of two black-and-white photographs on the wall of the Lamar County Courthouse in Paris, Texas. The top one is the southeast corner of the 1896 Courthouse that burned in the 1916 fire; the bottom one is the present courthouse soon after it was finished. Note the architectural similarities in the mid-sections of the walls, especially on the lower floor and the east entrance.
Photograph of the upper-west end of the south side of the Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas showing the details of the stonework along the top of the building. A carved shield and eagle stands out. These are Classic Revival ornaments. A flock of pigeons is roosting along the edge of the roof.
Photograph of the carved stone shield above the south entrance of the Lamar County Courthouse, including a portion of the fluted column in the background. The shield resembles a national shield. The carved medallion above the window behind the shield is an excellent example of the "Classic" style in vogue in 1916-1917 when it was built.
Photograph of the details of the stairs, hand rails, and third-floor landing of a staircase in the Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas. A light fixture is visible in the third floor hallway.
Photograph of the stairs to the third floor in the Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas. The white marble wainscot along the walls continues up and down the stairs. The floor is small tile, in a color to match the walls above the wainscot. The wood door near the stairs ends at the top of the wainscot, including detailed finish work. A light fixture is also visible above the landing.
Photograph of typical, upper-window detail of the Lamar County Courthouse in downtown Paris, Texas. The building has Classic Revival-style architecture. There is a limestone lintel above each window that has a carved stone insert and a centered, carved stone petal medallion; the window ledge for the window above is set on top of the inset to complete an opening.
Photograph of the apartment building on South Main street that is across the street from the Gibraltar Hotel. The buildings are on the corners of Austin Avenue. Both of these buildings were built with re-enforced concrete and brick. As with the First National Bank building they were built just before the 1916 fire and were burned out and the structure survived.
Photograph of the Blue Star Memorial Highway Marker, a tribute to the veterans who have served. Located on the grounds of the Union Station depot, next to Highway 82, Bonham Avenue, west side of downtown Paris, Texas.
Photograph of the Peoples National Bank building in down town Paris, Texas. The building does not have a date medallion, however it Classic Revival style indicates it fits into the time soon after 1916 fire re-build.
Photograph of a building on North Main street across from the Lamar County Courthouse in Paris, Texas. This building was constructed around 1916 and at the time of the photograph was occupied by The Paris Bakery. A car is parked on the far right, and a woman enters the bakery to the left of the car.
Photograph of the Paris Optical Building in Paris, Texas. The building's decorations feature an eagle and the dates 1907 and 1917, which indicate that the building was repaired after the 1916 fire although it was still standing after the fire.