Photograph of a building on North Main street across from the Lamar County Courthouse in Paris, Texas. This building was constructed around 1916 and at the time of the photograph was occupied by The Paris Bakery. A car is parked on the far right, and a woman enters the bakery to the left of the car.
Photograph of the Paris Optical Building in Paris, Texas. The building's decorations feature an eagle and the dates 1907 and 1917, which indicate that the building was repaired after the 1916 fire although it was still standing after the fire.
Photograph of the building on the corner of Lamar Avenue and 1st NE Streets.Currently occupied by Dixon Photography.The photograph is of the east side of the building.Note one white carved stone insert on the upper front corner is missing, to the right is one in place.
Photograph of buildings in down town Paris,Texas, on 1st SE Street, one block east of Plaza Square. This part of town was destroyed by the 1916 Paris fire. The buildings represent the rebuilding and are almost all dated before 1920. Many date 1916 and 1917!
Photograph of the back of an an apartment building facing South Main at Austin Avenue. Note the re-enforced concrete used for the stairs, porches, and a corner. This buildings foundation, frame, and brick walls survived the 1916 fire.
Photograph of front corner of "Bois D'Arc Forge" building on 1st NE Street, in down town Paris,Texas.Note narrow side walks and canopy hooks above door level. It appears the streets passing by this building have been widened in the past.
Photograph of an apartment building in down town Paris,Texas.The back,south west,corner of the building facing east on South Main Street at Austin Streets is in the center of the photo.The building in the background is the post 1916 fire Gibraltar Hotel and shows the front,south east,corner of the building facing east on South Main Street at Austin Street.
Photograph of details of the upper south east corner of the First National Bank building,on Plaza Square,in down town Paris,Texas.The rebuild of the building in 1916 has a white stone cap,white carved stone cornice brackets, white stone string courses,white stone decorations,and red brick construction.It is an outstanding building.
Photograph of the upper north west corner of the Gibraltar Hotel, South Main at Austin, in downtown Paris Texas. This building appears to be a style variant of Classic Revival.The building has white columns, consoles, string courses, lentils, and cornice work with added white stone ornamentation, however there are few stone carvings in the photo. The red brick is nicely done with very little pattern work.
Photograph of the Gibraltar Hotel on the south east corner of South Main and East Austin Streets.The photo is looking through the entrance porch,facing South Main Street,with the street sign in the background.
Photograph of post 1916 fire Gibraltar Hotel on the east side of the South Main and Austin Street intersection. The architecture includes red brick, white string courses, carved stone, and white stone trim. The building has the features of a Classic Revival style building, however it has very little carved stone ornamentation.
Photograph of the IOOF Lodge building on the southwest corner of Plaza Square in downtown Paris, Texas. The IOOF Lodge sign hangs on the front corner of the building and the entrance is on the side. It appears necessary repairs have been made to preserve the building. Downtown Paris was rebuilt after the March 21 - 22, 1916 fire. The architecture style is predominantly Classic Revival. Both buildings in this photograph reflect Classic Revival style. After decades of repairs, remodeling, and upgrades downtown Paris is still dominated by the Classic Revival style. The 1917 Lamar County Courthouse and the 1916 First National Bank are in Classic Revival Style. The original name of the building is unknown; the date medallion shows two dates, 1851 - 1916, The Wildey IOOF Lodge entrance on First Street SW has a date of 1921 above it. There is a IOOF sign on the upper front corner.
Photograph of the rebuilt IOOF Building,1stSW Street and Grand Avenue on the southwest corner of Fountain Square in downtown Paris,Texas. This building was "gutted" by the 1916 fire. This building has dual dates in the date medallion on the east side, First SW Street, indicating a history back to 1851. The IOOF Lodge entrance is at ground level and bears a date of 1921, after the 1916 fire. The building IOOF building due to the non-operative IOOF sign above the front corner. As is today the building reflects typical Classic Revival style of commercial buildings of the period.
Photograph of South Main Street, passing Fountain Square, with the Lamar County Couthouse on North Main Street in the left background. Photos of Fire Damage in the 200 block of South Main were taken center left. Note street and highway signs.