Photograph of buildings around the southeast corner of Plaza Square in downtown Paris, Texas. Various storefronts are visible along the street, including the 1917 First State Bank Building on the left. Almost all of the buildings in historic downtown Paris are of the Classic Revival style, since they were rebuilt after the 1916 fire.
Photograph of the south east corner of the Cornerstone building, at Lamar Avenue and 2nd NE Street in Paris, Texas. On top of the wall, above the cornice, is a white colored replacement for the original ornamentation. The gray cornice is supported by ornamental consoles and there are gray medallions on the buff colored brick below the cornice. These features appear to be molded, not carved. The windows have white masonry ledges and bricked over steel lintels. The "Cornerstone" sign is noteworthy.
Photograph of fire damage to a building in the 200 block of the west side of South Main Street in downtown Paris, Texas. In the image, there is a partial front wall still standing, made of brick, plaster, and metal. The fire likely happened near the time of the photograph.
Photograph of stacks of bricks, metal, and wood from the clean-up after a fire in downtown Paris, Texas. This building is on the west side of the 200 block of South Main Street. This damage is probably not related to the 1916 fire.
Photograph of buildings north of Plaza Square in Paris, Texas. The Paris Bakery sign is across the street from the 1917 Courthouse. Most of Paris, Texas was destroyed by fire March 21 and 22 in 1916 so all the downtown buildings were rebuilt afterwards. There is a marker commemorating the fire in Fountain Square.
Photograph of European Antiques sign and a street light on Clarksville Road. Passed the street sign the street changes to Grand Avenue and is the east side of Fountain Plaza. The buildings in the photograph exhibit the Classic Revival style of commercial brick building around 1916 to 1917 when downtown was rebuilt after the city fire.
Photograph of fire damage to a building in the 200 block of South Main Street, in downtown Paris, Texas. The front wall is doubled, double-course brick with a steel I-beam lintel on top and charred wood visible in the opening.
Photograph of the 1917 First Sate Bank entrance on Clarksville Street in downtown Paris, Texas. The bank is one of a few buildings Paris built of limestone ashlar, i.e. large stone block construction material. The steel gate and fence at entrance is unusual on a small scale. The building is symmetrical, crisp, and simply ornamented and it has the bank emblem and date of building at the top. The building is situated on the corner of Clarksville and South Main streets; other buildings on Main Street are visible on the right side of the photograph.
Photograph of the 1917 "First State Bank" building in downtown Paris, Texas, located on the corner of Clarksville Street and South Main on the Plaza Square. This is one of few commercial buildings rebuilt after the March 21-22, 1916 fire constructed using large limestone ashlars. The bank's carved stone medallion and date of construction, 1917, are at the top center of the building.
Photograph of the red tile roof on the hexagonal dome and upper detail of the First United Methodist Church in downtown Paris, Texas. When the dome was built, it could be raised and lowered for ventilation.
Photograph of the center, south side of the 1920s First United Methodist Church in downtown Paris, Texas. The church is built in the Classic Revival style with a dome, stilted arch, and lintel windows as well as pediments and columns at the entrances.
Photograph of a 1929 black & white framed print provided by a "staff" member of the 1st United Methodist Church of Paris, Texas. The photograph shows the frame for the church dome under construction and church members gathered on the lawn. The dome would raise and lower for ventilation when it was finished. Today it is anchored down.
Photograph of the west entrance to the First United Methodist Church in downtown Paris, Texas. The lower three floors exhibit "Revival" style and the dome and turrets have red tile roofs with Byzantine Christian metal trim features.
Photograph of a historical marker for the First United Methodist Church in downtown Paris, Texas, located at Lamar Avenue and 3rd NE Street. The marker was established by the Texas Historical Commission and reads: "First United Methodist Church of Paris The beginning of this congregation can be traced to 1843, when the Rev. James Graham organized the First Methodist Church in the area. It later took the name Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Meanwhile, another congregation, Lamar Avenue Methodist Church, was formed. After the destructive Paris fire of 1916, the two churches decided to form one central downtown congregation, and the merger became official in 1918. The Rev. Robert P. Shuler was appointed first pastor of the new congre-gation, now known as First United Methodist Church of Paris. (1985)"