Mexia Newspaper Collection

About the Collection

The State Herald was published from 1902 to 1908. The publication's name was changed to The Mexia Weekly Herald on March 5, 1908, and was published by N.P. Houx until July 29, 1948. The Mexia Evening News was published from 1912 to 1923.

Formed in 1870, Mexia was named for the family who received the land grant that included town site in 1833. Settlement began upon completion of the Houston and Texas Central Railway in 1871.

Mexia's primary newspaper was published as The Mexia Daily News from 1923 to January 2009, when its name was changed to The Mexia News which is still in publication today.

The inclusion of the early issues of the Mexia Newspaper Collection in the Texas Digital Newspaper Program has been generously supported by the Tocker Foundation.



At a Glance