O. D. and Estelle Bates Collection - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Lucas Children in Front of Car

Description: Lorene Lucas (Looper) flanked by her brothers Howard and Ray. These were the children of W. D. Lucas, who was a long-time owner of a general merchandise store on Main St. The three pose in front of Lorene's new car in 1929. In an interview, Lorene said that the dress she was wearing was blue and yellow and matched the blue car with its yellow trim.
Date: 1929
Partner: Irving Archives

Lucas and Joffre Store

Description: Lucas and Joffre Store was founded by W. D. "Doug" Lucas and Fred Joffre in 1906 on the west side of Irving's Main Street. Lucas and Joffre split, but W. D. Lucas maintained a store on Main Street until he died in 1931.
Date: 1906
Partner: Irving Archives

Bill Gilbert at Irving State Bank

Description: Two men shaking hands. Bill Gilbert (left) greeting customer Albert Farine in Irving State Bank's new building, 1947. The Merchants and Planters Bank was organized in 1907. Chaney and Fletcher Miller took over operation of the bank and in 1908 and had it chartered as the Irving State Bank. It later became Irving Bank and Trust Company and remained in business along Main Street until 1975.
Date: 1947
Partner: Irving Archives

Albert Farine Home

Description: Albert Farine home, constructed in 1906 and burned in the 1960s. The Farine family came to Texas in 1855 as part of the La Reunion colony and settled in the area that is now Irving in 1859.
Date: unknown
Partner: Irving Archives

Irving High School Football Team, 1924

Description: Irving High School football team, district champs, 1924. Back row: Vernon Thompkens, Lynn Harkey, Coach Fred Nance, Noel Toney, and Edwin Metker. Front row: Marshall “Bobby” Anderson, Harland Cunningham, Julius Toney, Eugene Grider, Ralph Plumber, J. L. Crosby, John Britain, and W. S. Fields, with water boy John Steele
Date: 1924
Partner: Irving Archives

Brick School Building Being Torn Down

Description: The Irving Independent School District was established in 1909. The district built a three-story brick school building in 1913. The building, which came to be known as "Old Red," housed the entire student body for a number of years. It later became the elementary school and then the administration building. It was torn down in 1959.
Date: 1959
Partner: Irving Archives

Sowers School, 1906

Description: The Sowers School served the Sowers community, located about a mile west of Irving, near the present-day intersection of Pioneer and Belt Line Road. The teachers pictured are John Roberts (later Dr. John Roberts) and Miss Mary Ruth Wespey. The school was one large room, and the boys carried in drinking water from a well a quarter of a mile away. Classes were held from 9:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m. Top row: Allie Lanotte, Etta Eaton, unknown, Bess Kimble, Sally Haley, Ethel Barton, unknown, Ruby Slater, Nancy Slater, Mary Ruth Wespey, Ethel Tompkins, Jeanie Barton, John Roberts, unknown, Mabel Gilbert, Sam Mitchell, unknown, Thurston Jernigan, Hayde Gilbert, Kimble, Clay Gilbert, Tom Taylor, and Charlie Wilson Middle row: Nora Lusk, unknown, Marie Lanotte, Claudie Barton, Lillie Williams, Stella Slater, Minnie Moore, Moore, Jettie Rucker, Sitton, George Wilson, unknown, Fannie Slater, Grider Taylor, N. Jernigan, Bill Bietendorf, Paul Gilbert (with white glove), Ed Avrett, Jess Moore, Oscar Tompkins, Allen Avrett, Willie Smith, Arthur Smith, Carrie Lusk, Pauline Isadore, Ernestine Isadore, and Alice Lusk Bottom row: Most are unidentified, but some are Lawrence Ranft, Sidney Ranft, Dan Barton, Dan Gilbert, Floyd Eaton, Winnie Eaton, Adolph Bietendorf (with bat), W.B. “Bill” Gilbert (holding catcher’s mitt)
Date: 1906
Partner: Irving Archives

William Smith Home in Union Bower

Description: William Smith, area pioneer, built this house in the Union Bower community in 1888. It stood along what would become Maryland Street in Irving until it was torn down in the 1980s. Seen in this 1906 photo are L. G. Smith, Mr. and Mrs. J. T. Hood, Mrs. Mattie Smith, Bert Smith, Mrs. Jennie Smith, William Hood, and Frank and Charlie Voirin.
Date: 1906
Partner: Irving Archives

PTA Officers, 1936

Description: PTA officers for the Irving public school system in 1936. Seated left to right: Mrs. F. N. Broach, Mrs. H. W. Simmons, Mrs. W. H. George, Mrs. Edgar Davis, Mrs. Ralph Barr, Mrs. Clyde Kirkpatrick, and Mrs. W. R. Duckworth; standing left to right: Mrs. A. C. Bolden, Mrs. R. L. Kirkpatrick, School Supt. A. S. Johnston, Mrs. Johnston, and Mrs. Ben Hurwitz.
Date: 1936
Partner: Irving Archives

First St. Luke's Catholic Church

Description: First St. Luke’s Catholic Church, built in 1904. Located on the corner of Second and Jefferson, this building was used until 1920. Several French families, many from the defunct La Reunion colony, founded the parish. A parish list from 1890 includes the names of DeHaes, Chassang, Beaufford, and Boinard. Prior to 1904, Masses were held in private homes and later moved to the Lively School House on Britain Street. The city founders donated the lot for this church.
Date: unknown
Partner: Irving Archives