O. Henry Collection - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Smoot House]

Description: The Smoot home at 1316 West Sixth Street, where William Sydney Porter and Athol Estes were married by Dr. R. K. Smoot, pastor of the Southern Presbyterian Church where Will and Athol sang in the choir.
Date: unknown
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Lawrence K. Smoot]

Description: Lawrence K. Smoot at his desk in the Texas Supreme Court, where for many years he was the editor (usually called ‘Reporter’) of the Supreme Court’s official publications of the Court’s opinions.
Date: unknown
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Receiver's Memorandum

Description: These two pages are exerpts from a 141-page Receivers Memorandum dated 1887-1888. Pages appear to show payroll advances to O. Henry, here identified by his given name William S. Porter or W.S. Porter, for the months of June 1887 through December 1887. These pages are written in O. Henry's hand, and show his signature several times.
Date: 1887-06/1888-12
Creator: Texas. General Land Office.
Partner: Texas General Land Office

Roster of Employees in the General Land Office

Description: Ledger contains lists of General Land Office employees, their job titles, and monthly earnings. Excerpted here are 98 pages covering January 1887-January 1891, which are the dates O. Henry was employed at the land office. W.S. Porter, later known as the writer O. Henry, is listed as draftsman, compiling draftsman and assistant draftsman, earning $100 per month. Porter's name appears on roughly half of the pages.
Date: 1881/1891
Creator: Texas. General Land Office.
Partner: Texas General Land Office

In O. Henry's Memory

Description: Photo essay includes images of O.Henry's life in Austin, including the Hill City Quartette, houses O. Henry lived in, sketches by O. Henry and letters by his daughter Margaret Porter.
Date: February 18, 1932
Creator: Houston Chronicle
Partner: Texas General Land Office

Bexar Scrip 2692

Description: Copy of a land Grant file for land issued to the Houston & Texas Central Railway Company in the Bexar Land District. Includes a folder jacket with table of contents and notes about the land grant (filed July 12, 1928); field notes by M.J. Doyle, Deputy Surveyor, Bexar Land District for Section 21 Block 20 (January 13, 1873); the affidavit of ownership of S.N. Allen (July 12, 1928); and a note by Land Commissioner J.H. Walker indicating that the file has no relation to the O. Henry story of the same name (December 4, 1933). O. Henry’s story tells the tale of a Railroad baron taking a poor homesteader’s land by stealing this file. Walker notes that although the file was missing for a period, due to office procedures the land fraud could not have occurred.
Date: 1873/1928
Creator: Texas. General Land Office.
Partner: Texas General Land Office