Palo Pinto County Album - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Main Street, Mingus, Texas]

Description: Photograph of a crowd standing before storefronts on Main Street in Mingus, Texas. The crowd is comprised primarily of men wearing hats. Stores labeled "F. H. Hill" and "P. A. Fine Clothing & Shoes) appear behind the group.
Date: 1902~
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Postmaster William Cleveland in the Palo Pinto Post Office]

Description: Photograph of William L. Cleveland, the postmaster of Palo Pinto, Texas, standing inside of the Palo Pinto Post Office. The mustached man wears dark clothes and looks toward the camera while holding a letter. Papers jut out of shelves on both sides of Cleveland. A rolltop desk in the right foreground is covered with papers. "Palo Pinto Post Office 1918 W. L. Cleveland, Postmaster" is handwritten on a slip of paper attached to the bottom of the photo.
Date: 1918~
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Men Bricking a Road]

Description: Photograph of a group of men gathered and watching workers apply bricks onto a street of wet mortar. Low brick walls flank the road. Automobiles can be seen parked on either side of the road, and buildings are visible in the distance.
Date: 1926
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

The J. G. Bump Home

Description: Photograph of a two-story clapboard house with a chimney stack rising out of the center of its' gabled roof. There is a small porch and veranda at the entrance that uses logs as supports. A slip of paper with a handwritten note that reads "The J. G. Bump Home Brad, Tx" is taped to the bottom of the photo mat.
Date: unknown
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

Rocks on Lovers' Retreat

Description: Photograph of rocks hanging over still water at Lovers' Retreat in Mineral Wells, Texas. Taken from within a grotto, the overhanging rocks are in shadow while the rocks in the distance are not.
Date: unknown
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Garve Taylor's Store]

Description: Photograph of Garve Taylor's store on a street corner. The corrugated metal building has a front largely comprised of windows. A Coca Cola advertisement is painted on the side of the building.
Date: unknown
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Students of Nellie Hittson's School]

Description: Photograph of a group of boys and girls of various ages posing against the side of a wooden building. They are arranged in three vague rows, with taller youths standing in the back, younger children standing in the middle, and a group of young boys sitting in the front. Each child has a number handwritten over their chest. These numbers correspond to a partial list of names on the reverse side of the photo's mat.
Date: 1910~
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Men Outside of a Grocery Store]

Description: Photograph of men, horses, and a dog outside of a grocery store in Thurber Junction, Texas. A man in a vest stands on the building's covered porch. One man rides a horse-drawn wagon while another rides on a horse. A dog sits at the feet of the team of horses.
Date: unknown
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Front of the Palo Pinto School]

Description: Photograph of the two-story brick Palo Pinto School. There are two rows of windows and a chimney can be seen at either side of the building. A tree grows in front of the school's entrance. A wood and wire fence is partially visible to the left and right in the foreground.
Date: unknown
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

Famous Well by Lake Pinto

Description: Photograph of a brick building with three columns holding up an overhang. To the left of this building is a tin building with "Famous Well" written on a plank beside its door. Trees cover a rocky hill behind the buildings.
Date: January 10, 1919
Creator: A. F. Weaver Photography
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Men Parked on Bankhead Highway]

Description: Photograph of men and children along the sides of Bankhead Highway. The dirt road curves between two rocky slopes overgrown with trees. Horse- and donkey-drawn wagons and a car are parked among men to the left, while several men stand to the right by a Model T Ford. A small child holds a shovel in the center of the road. Two of the men on the left are identified as John Price and Alec Besty.
Date: unknown
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

River Bridge Between Graford and Palo Pinto

Description: Photograph of nine people standing in front of a bridge that crosses the Brazos River between Graford and Palo Pinto, Texas. Four of the middle aged or older men stand to the left, while three more kneel in front of them. Two women wearing dresses and head scarfs stand in front of a tree to the right.
Date: unknown
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Tent City in Grant Town, Texas]

Description: Photograph of a crowd standing outdoors around a stand featuring a three men reading a paper next to a figure dressed as Uncle Sam. Vehicles are visible in the background to the left, while a two-story brick building painted with "Hurst & McCorkle, Ford Authorized Sales & Service" along its corners.
Date: unknown
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Grassy Ridge School 7th Grade Class]

Description: Photograph of three rows of children positioned against a brick wall with two windows. They are arranged in three rows, with a row of girls standing in the back and middle and boys sitting in front. The class' teacher, Morris Jennings, is wearing a black suit and stands behind the children in the center. A label with related information is taped to the top of the photo.
Date: 1924
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Men Posing in Front of a Coal Mine]

Description: Photograph of a group of men posing at the base of a coal mining structure. A small plume of white smoke rises behind the men. A wooden building with two tall chimneys is visible in the background to the left. The third standing man from the right is identified as Thomas Edwin Hunter.
Date: 1906
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association