Palo Pinto County Album - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

"Baker Hotel" Menu

Description: This photograph illustrates an October 1929 menu from the Stephen F. Austin Hotel, a "Baker Hotel" (located in Austin, Texas), similar to the one that opened in Mineral Wells in 1929 is shown here. The Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells was apparently one of a chain of hotels. This menu serves as a reminder of that fact.
Date: 1929?
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

Hotel Guide, Highway Guide and Where to Go in Mineral Wells

Description: The cover page of a guide to the town of Mineral Wells, with information about the different types of water available, recreation activities, sanatoriums, and hotels is shown here. The clothes of the"Dyspeptic" illustrated at the bottom left suggest the late 1920's. Please note the gammadion (swastika) ribbons above and below the doggerel on the left side of the picture. The guide appears to have been printed considerably before the rise of the Nazis in Germany.
Date: unknown
Creator: Mineral Wells Chamber of Commerce
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

Camp Wolters - Texas

Description: Illustrated here is a panoramic view of Camp Wolters, Texas. Labels on photograph identify (left to right) Area No. 4, Sports Arena, Service Club, Area No. 5, Area No. 3, Area No. 2, and Area No.1. Platoons of soldiers are marching on the left side of the photograph.
Date: 1945
Creator: Camp Wolters Studio
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

[The St. Nicholas Hotel]

Description: A group of men stand in front of the St. Nicholas Hotel. A colophon at the lower right designates this picture as a photographic souvenir from Minerals Wells, taken by Dan W. Evans. The building had a varied history. It was first (in 1904) an unnamed two-and-one-half-story sanitarium, then re-named the St. Nicholas Hotel, and then later it became the Delaware Hotel. It was located at N. Oak and NE 3rd Street. The building was eventually consumed by fire on October of 1907. The back of photograph has a T and P Railway logotype and this information about the Jericho Fine Photo Company: "Mountain and Donkey Groups, View Souvenirs and Scenery of Min-Wells, Kodak Supplies and Finishing, Button and Stamp Photos a Specialty. Dan W. Evans Prop. Min Wells, Tex."
Date: 1907?
Creator: Dan W. Evans
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

Crazy Hotel, Mineral Wells, Texas - America's Great Health Resort

Description: This picture shows a pamphlet that was presumably published for the purpose of enticing prospective guests to the Crazy Hotel. The text touts the hotel as being "Fire-proof" (Its predecessor was not), and it extends "Special considerations shown at many hotels only to a favored few." The text is surrounded with pictures of the accommodations, and the various activities available at the hotel. At the very bottom, there is an advertisement for Crazy Crystals. The text ends with a notice of where to inquire about rates. If the dress of the ladies pictured is any guide, the pamphlet dates to the era of the 1920's.
Date: unknown
Creator: the Crazy Hotel
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

[A Christmas Card from Boyce Ditto]

Description: Christmas card sent to Mrs. Weaver, signed "Boyce Ditto." The front cover has a picture of greenery decorated with red bells and silver balls; at the top it says "To A Special Friend." The inside has a similar illustration in the center with text on either side. The text on the left says, "Friends as fine/ as you are/ Don't often come/ one's way./ And special times/ like Christmas/ Don't happen every day." The text on the right continues: "And so this/ Christmas greeting/ Is coming to extend/ This wish--/ 'A Merry Christmas/ To a very/ special friend!'"
Date: unknown
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

Mineral Wells, Texas

Description: A pamphlet about the various services and attractions in and around Mineral Wells, Texas, with many photographic illustrations, extols the allurements of Mineral in an effusive nineteenth-century prose, that was probably archaic for the time of the pamphlet.
Date: unknown
Creator: Texas and Pacific Railway - General Passenger Department
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

Santo High School - 1935

Description: Photograph of Santo High School, a single-story brick building with an arched entryway and false front. A row of windows span between the central entrance and two flanking doorways.
Date: 1935
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Joe Johnson's Log Cabin]

Description: Photograph of a derelict log cabin that belonged to a man named Joe Johnson. A chimney built with stone blocks stands against the building to the left. Tin roofing is pulled back from the left corner of the roof exposing beams underneath.
Date: 1985
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Palo Pinto Boys' Basketball Team]

Description: Photograph of boys of the Palo Pinto basketball team standing with their school principal, A. H. Brackeen. The boys are wearing shorts and athletic shirts. Brackeen wears a dark suit and tie. The group is standing in a line in front of a clapboard building with three windows. The fourth person holds a basketball inscribed with "BHS."
Date: unknown
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Chief Montgomery and His Wife]

Description: Photograph of Chief Montgomery and his wife, both members of the Creek people. His wife has her haired tied back and wears a dress with a jacket, while Chief Montgomery wears a shirt, trousers, and a dark jacket while holding a cane by his right side. Buildings are visible behind the couple. A label with related information is taped to the top of the photo.
Date: unknown
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Men Posing on a Coal Shaft Structure]

Description: Photograph of a coal mine shaft structure with several men posing around it. A wooden structure stands next to a L-shaped building with metal siding and multiple stories. Piles of wood are visible at the bottom left portion of the photo.
Date: unknown
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

Lover's Retreat

Description: Photograph of a rocky outcropping jutting out over a river. The area, called Lover's Retreat, is covered with vegetation. A man can be seen walking along the edge of the overhanging rocks.
Date: 1910~
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association