Palo Pinto County Album - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Bridge Being Built over the Brazos River]

Description: Photograph of a group of men building a truss bridge over the Brazos River. Many of the bridge's vertical and crossed beams are already in place. A crane on the right rests on a rail track that extends onto the bridge. Men stand idle to the left with barrels, tools, and a pile of rope at their feet.
Date: 1900~
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

Bridge over the Brazos on Road North to Graford

Description: Photograph of five men standing on the wooden railing of a bridge that covers a narrow passage of the Brazos River. The men are wearing hats and dark suits.
Date: unknown
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Building at the Base of a Wooded Hill]

Description: Photograph of a stone building that is surrounded by trees. Dirt roads pass beside the house and lead up a hill in the background.
Date: 1930
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

Camp Wolters - Texas

Description: Illustrated here is a panoramic view of Camp Wolters, Texas. Labels on photograph identify (left to right) Area No. 4, Sports Arena, Service Club, Area No. 5, Area No. 3, Area No. 2, and Area No.1. Platoons of soldiers are marching on the left side of the photograph.
Date: 1945
Creator: Camp Wolters Studio
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

[Cedar Springs United Methodist Church]

Description: Photograph of Cedar Springs United Methodist Church in Palo Pinto County, Texas. The white clapboard building has a triangular awning with an image of a cross. Below the awning is a set of double doors that are flanked by fieldstone columns. To the left of the door is a sign depicting a cross draped with a red cloth.
Date: May 2010
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Cedar Springs United Methodist Church]

Description: Photograph of Cedar Springs United Methodist Church in Palo Pinto County, Texas. The white clapboard building has a triangular awning with an image of a cross. Below the awning is a set of double doors that are flanked by fieldstone columns. To the left of the door is a sign depicting a cross draped with a red cloth. A smaller door with an awning appears beside a window to the left.
Date: May 2010
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Cedar Springs United Methodist Church Plaque]

Description: Photograph of a red granite plaque attached the side of a white clapboard building. The plaque reads "Cedar Springs United Methodist Church. This building was erected in 1898, after many years of worship in private homes and under brush arbors. It was built out of love of God and man."
Date: May 2010
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Celebration in Mingus, Texas]

Description: Photograph of a brass band standing with their instruments in front of citizens of Mingus, Texas. The band members are wearing white caps and uniforms. A group of men and women stand behind them to the left. Buildings are visible in the background, including an unfinished brick building in the center.
Date: 1900~
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

Centennial Sheriff Hollis Wolfe

Description: Photograph of Hollis Wolfe wearing a cowboy hat, ribbon tie, vest, and a pistol on his hip. Cars are parked behind him.
Date: May 1957
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Chief Montgomery and His Wife]

Description: Photograph of Chief Montgomery and his wife, both members of the Creek people. His wife has her haired tied back and wears a dress with a jacket, while Chief Montgomery wears a shirt, trousers, and a dark jacket while holding a cane by his right side. Buildings are visible behind the couple. A label with related information is taped to the top of the photo.
Date: unknown
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Children and Adults Standing by Brush Arbor]

Description: Photograph of rows of young children sitting in front of adults. A girl and two older women stand to the left, while an older woman and a young boy stand to the right. The back row has four women, two of which are holding very young children. A man with folded arms and a hat stands on the right side of the back row. The group is in front of a brush arbor which stands among a group of tents.
Date: 1926~
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Couples by Lover's Retreat]

Description: Photograph of a group of seven pairs of men and women together beside a rocky outcropping called "Lover's Retreat." The men are wearing dark suits and ties, while the women are wearing dresses and ornate hair and hats.
Date: 1910~
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

Crazy Hotel Fire

Description: Photograph of Mineral Wells as seen from an observation tower on East Mountain. The panoramic view of the town reveals a plume of smoke covering much of the town's center.
Date: March 5, 1925
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

The Cullen Grimes School

Description: Principal Donald Bond, the teachers and the students of the afternoon group at Cullen Grimes School in Mineral Wells, Texas congregate in front of the building in March of 1954.
Date: March 1954
Creator: Daniel, W.L.
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

Dark Valley Brazos River Bridge

Description: Photograph of Number 3 Coal Shaft structure in Lyra, Texas. A building beside the shaft has chimney that is billowing dark smoke over the hill in the background.
Date: 1915~
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

Dark Valley Brazos River Bridge

Description: Photograph of the first bridge over the Brazos River at Dark Valley Creek. Much of the lower left diagonal half of the photo is obscured. Three women can be seen standing on the bridge with three boys. One woman holds an umbrella over her head. The boys are wearing straw hats, white shirts, and neckties. A slip of paper inscribed with the words "Dark Valley Brazos River Bridge" is taped to the photo's mat.
Date: unknown
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

["Dump" and Eldridge Clark with Children]

Description: Photograph of "Dump" and Eldridge Clark standing in front of a car while holding young boys. The two men are wearing garrison caps and U.S. Army uniforms. A building with the word "Sinclaire" written on its entry arch is visible behind the car.
Date: 1940~
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

Famous Well by Lake Pinto

Description: Photograph of a brick building with three columns holding up an overhang. To the left of this building is a tin building with "Famous Well" written on a plank beside its door. Trees cover a rocky hill behind the buildings.
Date: January 10, 1919
Creator: A. F. Weaver Photography
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

The First Anniversary of the Aviation Engineer Force Activation

Description: Troops and spectators celebrate the first anniversary of Aviation Engineer Force Activation at Wolters Air Force Base on April 10, 1952, with Colonel A.B. Campfield, the Commander of Troops; Brigadier General H.W. Ehrgott, Commanding; Colonel Philip G. Kemp, the Base Commander.
Date: April 10, 1952
Creator: Daniel Photography
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

First Baptist Church and Tabernacle

Description: Photograph of the First Baptist Church of Santo, Texas, a single-story stone building with an awning over its entrance. A shorter building with a shingled roof stands to the right.
Date: unknown
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[The First Palo Pinto Methodist Church]

Description: Photograph of the first Methodist church in Palo Pinto, Texas. The clapboard building has double doors, peeling paint on its outer walls, and a belfry.
Date: unknown
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Flyer for the Crazy Radio Gang]

Description: Flyer for the Crazy Radio Gang, featuring the faces of cast members in eleven oval frames. The men are identified from the top left as Hal Collins, Frank Dinkins, Francis Quinn, Frank McMordie, Johnny Jordan, Conrad Brady, Guy Woodward, Maurice Pendery, Dale Woodward, Jack Amlung, and two blackface characters called Sugar Cane and February.
Date: 1930~
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Four Men on Wynn Mountain]

Description: Photograph of four men sitting on a railing along the side of a dirt road on Wynn Mountain near Mineral Wells, Texas.
Date: unknown
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association