Palo Pinto County Album - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Couples by Lover's Retreat]

Description: Photograph of a group of seven pairs of men and women together beside a rocky outcropping called "Lover's Retreat." The men are wearing dark suits and ties, while the women are wearing dresses and ornate hair and hats.
Date: 1910~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

Crazy Hotel Fire

Description: Photograph of Mineral Wells as seen from an observation tower on East Mountain. The panoramic view of the town reveals a plume of smoke covering much of the town's center.
Date: March 5, 1925
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

Crazy Hotel, Mineral Wells, Texas - America's Great Health Resort

Description: This picture shows a pamphlet that was presumably published for the purpose of enticing prospective guests to the Crazy Hotel. The text touts the hotel as being "Fire-proof" (Its predecessor was not), and it extends "Special considerations shown at many hotels only to a favored few." The text is surrounded with pictures of the accommodations, and the various activities available at the hotel. At the very bottom, there is an advertisement for Crazy Crystals. The text ends with a notice of where to inquire about rates. If the dress of the ladies pictured is any guide, the pamphlet dates to the era of the 1920's.
Date: unknown
Creator: the Crazy Hotel
Item Type: Text
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

The Cullen Grimes School

Description: Principal Donald Bond, the teachers and the students of the afternoon group at Cullen Grimes School in Mineral Wells, Texas congregate in front of the building in March of 1954.
Date: March 1954
Creator: Daniel, W.L.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

Dark Valley Brazos River Bridge

Description: Photograph of Number 3 Coal Shaft structure in Lyra, Texas. A building beside the shaft has chimney that is billowing dark smoke over the hill in the background.
Date: 1915~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

Dark Valley Brazos River Bridge

Description: Photograph of the first bridge over the Brazos River at Dark Valley Creek. Much of the lower left diagonal half of the photo is obscured. Three women can be seen standing on the bridge with three boys. One woman holds an umbrella over her head. The boys are wearing straw hats, white shirts, and neckties. A slip of paper inscribed with the words "Dark Valley Brazos River Bridge" is taped to the photo's mat.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Diploma for Sidney Miller]

Description: Diploma certifying that Sidney Miller is a certified ferry pilot via Aviation Enterprises.
Date: April 24, 1943
Creator: Aviation Enterprises
Item Type: Text
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Drawn Map of Palo Pinto Square]

Description: Map of Palo Pinto Square from 1872 to 1882. This map depicts buildings and streets in the area as a series of labeled rectangles.
Date: unknown
Creator: Perkins, Grace
Item Type: Map
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Dry Cleaning Bag from Baker Hotel]

Description: A dry-cleaning bag from the Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells, Texas is shown here. The bag has an image of the hotel, taken from the front, as well as "The Baker Hotel - Mineral Wells, Texas, World Famous Health Resort". Further information on this artifact has not been forthcoming.
Date: unknown
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

["Dump" and Eldridge Clark with Children]

Description: Photograph of "Dump" and Eldridge Clark standing in front of a car while holding young boys. The two men are wearing garrison caps and U.S. Army uniforms. A building with the word "Sinclaire" written on its entry arch is visible behind the car.
Date: 1940~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

Famous Well by Lake Pinto

Description: Photograph of a brick building with three columns holding up an overhang. To the left of this building is a tin building with "Famous Well" written on a plank beside its door. Trees cover a rocky hill behind the buildings.
Date: January 10, 1919
Creator: A. F. Weaver Photography
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

The Fiftieth Reunion of the Graduating Class of 1934

Description: This picture reproduces a newspaper clipping that reports the fiftieth reunion of the 1934 class from Mineral Wells High School. It was published in the Mineral Wells Index on June 28, 1984.
Date: June 28, 1984
Item Type: Clipping
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

The First Anniversary of the Aviation Engineer Force Activation

Description: Troops and spectators celebrate the first anniversary of Aviation Engineer Force Activation at Wolters Air Force Base on April 10, 1952, with Colonel A.B. Campfield, the Commander of Troops; Brigadier General H.W. Ehrgott, Commanding; Colonel Philip G. Kemp, the Base Commander.
Date: April 10, 1952
Creator: Daniel Photography
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library

First Baptist Church and Tabernacle

Description: Photograph of the First Baptist Church of Santo, Texas, a single-story stone building with an awning over its entrance. A shorter building with a shingled roof stands to the right.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[The First Palo Pinto Methodist Church]

Description: Photograph of the first Methodist church in Palo Pinto, Texas. The clapboard building has double doors, peeling paint on its outer walls, and a belfry.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Flyer for the Crazy Radio Gang]

Description: Flyer for the Crazy Radio Gang, featuring the faces of cast members in eleven oval frames. The men are identified from the top left as Hal Collins, Frank Dinkins, Francis Quinn, Frank McMordie, Johnny Jordan, Conrad Brady, Guy Woodward, Maurice Pendery, Dale Woodward, Jack Amlung, and two blackface characters called Sugar Cane and February.
Date: 1930~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Four Men on Wynn Mountain]

Description: Photograph of four men sitting on a railing along the side of a dirt road on Wynn Mountain near Mineral Wells, Texas.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Fourth of July Celebrants on the Brazos River]

Description: Photograph of a group of men, women, and children arranged in several raked rows and posing for a photo. The group is located in a forested area and is positioned behind two kettles and a bucket. A handwritten note on the back indicates that they are celebrating the fourth of July.
Date: 1902-07-04~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Front of the Palo Pinto School]

Description: Photograph of the two-story brick Palo Pinto School. There are two rows of windows and a chimney can be seen at either side of the building. A tree grows in front of the school's entrance. A wood and wire fence is partially visible to the left and right in the foreground.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[G. L. Rice & Co. General Store]

Description: Photograph of G. L. Rice & Co. General Merchandise store in Strawn, Texas. The two-story brick building has an awning over its opening on the right. The name of the business is painted onto its side. "I. O. O. F." is written over the awning. A man is standing on the roof of an incomplete building in the background. Another man stands next to a pile of building materials
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[G. W. McDonald's Dry Goods Store]

Description: Photograph of G. W. McDonald's dry goods store, a two-story stone building. Three arched windows are arranged over a covered porch. A fire escape appears on the side of the building.
Date: 1890~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association

[Garve Taylor's Store]

Description: Photograph of Garve Taylor's store on a street corner. The corrugated metal building has a front largely comprised of windows. A Coca Cola advertisement is painted on the side of the building.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palo Pinto County Historical Association