J.P. Newcomb began the Alamo Star after apprenticing at the San Antonio Ledger, another prominent San Antonio newspaper, until 1854. The San Antonio Alamo Star was renamed the San Antonio Herald on April 3, 1855, to broaden what began as a local news source into a wider scope.

In 1856, John D. Logan and S.C. Thompson purchased the Herald from J.P. Newcomb, and it became a daily shortly thereafter on March 23, 1857. From 1858 to 1865, the paper was published in daily, weekly, and tri-weekly editions. From 1866 to 1878, it was published in daily and weekly editions, and then in daily editions from 1878 to 1880. The Herald was taken over by the San Antonio Daily Times in 1880.

At a Glance