Rescuing Texas History, 2006 - Browse
Showing: 1 - 24 of 41 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Andrew L. Bowers was born in 1852 in North Carolina. Upon moving to Texas, his first job was as a day laborer on an iron bridge at Columbus, TX. He was eighteen years of age. At nineteen he was promoted to foreman, with the Delaware Bridge Company. Afterward, he worked for the railroads, steadily climbing their ranks until he reached the position of Superintendent of Construction for the Northwest division, covering the area from Spring to Fort Worth. He eventually left the railroad, resigning to look after his investments. He became interested in the Salt Works of Palestine, helping to develop that important new enterprise and serving as its first president. He married Nellie O’Connell, on May 31, 1882 in Corsicana. They were the parents of five children: Irene, Mabel, Andrew Jr., Willie, and Bernard. In 1890, the need for a Building and Loan Association became acute in this section, and Mr. Bowers, along with several others, organized the Mechanics’ Building and Loan Association. This was one of the earliest organizations of the kind in the state of Texas. In 1906 he bought from Governor Thomas M. Campbell, a controlling interest in the Palestine National Bank and was made president. But he was not constituted for indoor work; the open spaces called him and he retired from banking after a signally successful connection of seven years. Mr. Bowers was a large property owner, his holdings comprising, notably, a large number of business houses in various Texas cities. He served three terms as Mayor of Palestine, being first elected in 1897 and serving until 1907 and then re-elected in 1909 and serving until 1915. He was once again elected in 1919 and served until 1923. Achievements of his regime included: paving of streets, erection of substantial brick school buildings, fire station ...
Partner: Palestine Public Library
Description: This group does not contain the entire membership of the Company, which is much regretted, but only those whose pictures could be obtained thirty years after the war. The Company was raised by Captain Peter Hardeman about the middle of April, 1861, in the Counties of Houston, Anderson, Cherokee and Nacogdoches, calling for twenty-five men from each of the Counties, and marched immediately to San Antonio, where the regiment was organized and mustered into the State service on May 17th, 1861. In a few days after this, this Company, with a part of the regiment, started on the expedition to Arizona and New Mexico, and returned to San Antonio in the summer of 1862, when the regiment, being again brought together, was reorganized and served until the close of the war in Texas and Louisiana and was disbanded in June 1865. This company being among the first troops called for, was composed mainly of boys and young men, with a few middle-aged men, several of the boys being only fifteen years old. All were good, true, noble and loyal soldiers from the rise to the fall of the Confederacy - J. C. J. King - Captain, Co. A., 2nd Texas Cavalry, Confederate Veterans
Partner: Palestine Public Library
Description: Photograph of the Killeen Hotel, a two story building with upper and lower porches, three chimneys, some out buildings, and a windmill. Four of five people are seated on the lower porch. Text on photo reads, "Killeen Hotel -- photo taken approx. 1895-1900..... located on northwest corner of Avenue D and 8th Street...built in late 1880s or early 1890s...after Camp Hood came. hotel was moved to street south of railroad tracks, to make room for another building at D and 8th"
Partner: Killeen City Library System
Description: Indian Village-Fort Sill. Photo taken in 1890: Indian Territory.
Partner: Clay County Historical Society