Rescuing Texas History, 2006 - Browse
Showing: 1 - 14 of 14 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: This group does not contain the entire membership of the Company, which is much regretted, but only those whose pictures could be obtained thirty years after the war. The Company was raised by Captain Peter Hardeman about the middle of April, 1861, in the Counties of Houston, Anderson, Cherokee and Nacogdoches, calling for twenty-five men from each of the Counties, and marched immediately to San Antonio, where the regiment was organized and mustered into the State service on May 17th, 1861. In a few days after this, this Company, with a part of the regiment, started on the expedition to Arizona and New Mexico, and returned to San Antonio in the summer of 1862, when the regiment, being again brought together, was reorganized and served until the close of the war in Texas and Louisiana and was disbanded in June 1865. This company being among the first troops called for, was composed mainly of boys and young men, with a few middle-aged men, several of the boys being only fifteen years old. All were good, true, noble and loyal soldiers from the rise to the fall of the Confederacy - J. C. J. King - Captain, Co. A., 2nd Texas Cavalry, Confederate Veterans
Date: c. 1895
Partner: Palestine Public Library
Description: Photograph of the Killeen Hotel, a two story building with upper and lower porches, three chimneys, some out buildings, and a windmill. Four of five people are seated on the lower porch. Text on photo reads, "Killeen Hotel -- photo taken approx. 1895-1900..... located on northwest corner of Avenue D and 8th Street...built in late 1880s or early 1890s...after Camp Hood came. hotel was moved to street south of railroad tracks, to make room for another building at D and 8th"
Date: 1895 - 1900
Partner: Killeen City Library System