Rescuing Texas History, 2006 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Andrew L. Bowers]

Description: Andrew L. Bowers was born in 1852 in North Carolina. Upon moving to Texas, his first job was as a day laborer on an iron bridge at Columbus, TX. He was eighteen years of age. At nineteen he was promoted to foreman, with the Delaware Bridge Company. Afterward, he worked for the railroads, steadily climbing their ranks until he reached the position of Superintendent of Construction for the Northwest division, covering the area from Spring to Fort Worth. He eventually left the railroad, resigning to look after his investments. He became interested in the Salt Works of Palestine, helping to develop that important new enterprise and serving as its first president. He married Nellie O’Connell, on May 31, 1882 in Corsicana. They were the parents of five children: Irene, Mabel, Andrew Jr., Willie, and Bernard. In 1890, the need for a Building and Loan Association became acute in this section, and Mr. Bowers, along with several others, organized the Mechanics’ Building and Loan Association. This was one of the earliest organizations of the kind in the state of Texas. In 1906 he bought from Governor Thomas M. Campbell, a controlling interest in the Palestine National Bank and was made president. But he was not constituted for indoor work; the open spaces called him and he retired from banking after a signally successful connection of seven years. Mr. Bowers was a large property owner, his holdings comprising, notably, a large number of business houses in various Texas cities. He served three terms as Mayor of Palestine, being first elected in 1897 and serving until 1907 and then re-elected in 1909 and serving until 1915. He was once again elected in 1919 and served until 1923. Achievements of his regime included: paving of streets, erection of substantial brick school buildings, fire station ...
Date: 1897
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Company A, 2nd Texas Cavalry, Confederate States Army]

Description: This group does not contain the entire membership of the Company, which is much regretted, but only those whose pictures could be obtained thirty years after the war. The Company was raised by Captain Peter Hardeman about the middle of April, 1861, in the Counties of Houston, Anderson, Cherokee and Nacogdoches, calling for twenty-five men from each of the Counties, and marched immediately to San Antonio, where the regiment was organized and mustered into the State service on May 17th, 1861. In a few days after this, this Company, with a part of the regiment, started on the expedition to Arizona and New Mexico, and returned to San Antonio in the summer of 1862, when the regiment, being again brought together, was reorganized and served until the close of the war in Texas and Louisiana and was disbanded in June 1865. This company being among the first troops called for, was composed mainly of boys and young men, with a few middle-aged men, several of the boys being only fifteen years old. All were good, true, noble and loyal soldiers from the rise to the fall of the Confederacy - J. C. J. King - Captain, Co. A., 2nd Texas Cavalry, Confederate Veterans
Date: c. 1895
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Frank Huffsmith]

Description: Frank Huffsmith was born on January 7, 1853 and served as Mayor of Palestine from 1893 until 1897. He died on February 3, 1900 and is buried in the East Hill section of the Palestine City Cemetery.
Date: 1893
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Nathanial W. Blackshear]

Description: Photo of Nathanial W. Blackshear that was taken about 1891.
Date: 1891
Creator: E.F. Brockmeyer - Studio Angelo
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Palestine Fire Department Band]

Description: Photo of the Palestine Fire Department Band taken in the Old Town section of Palestine, around the courthouse square around 1890-1900.
Date: 1890 - 1900
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Temple Opera House - Palestine, Texas]

Description: Photo of the Temple Opera House which was located on the corner of Avenue A and Oak Street in downtown Palestine. As per the 1898-1899 city directory, the manager was a man named W.E. Swift. The building has since been destroyed.
Date: 1890 - 1905
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library