Rescuing Texas History, 2006 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Diana Campbell Parr]

Description: A photograph of Diana Campbell Parr, daughter of privateer James Campbell and wife of Solomon Parr. Mrs. Campbell is wearing a long-sleeved, full-length dark dress with a bow at the neck and gloves.
Date: 1840~/1850
Partner: Moore Memorial Public Library

[Henry Wilcox]

Description: A photograph of a sketch of Henry Wilcox, an early settler of Shoal Point. In the sketch, Mr. Wilcox is wearing a dark suit coat, a white shirt and black bow tie.
Date: 1840 - 1853
Partner: Moore Memorial Public Library

[St. Phillips Episcopal Church]

Description: Photo of the St. Phillips Episcopal church, which was built c. 1870 on the corner of Crawford and Sycamore Streets in Palestine. It was moved across Sycamore Street about 1909, which is where it sits today.
Date: 1870 - 1909
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Levi Hurbrough]

Description: Levi Hurbrough served as Palestine’s first Mayor after the civil war, his term running from 1871 until 1872.
Date: 1871
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Gideon Gooch]

Description: Gideon Johnson Gooch was born on April 3, 1844 and served as Mayor of Palestine from 1872 until 1873. He died on January 31, 1906 and is buried in the East Hill Section of the Palestine City Cemetery.
Date: 1872
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[W. M. Lacy]

Description: W. M. Lacy served as Mayor of Palestine from 1873 until 1874 and then again from 1887 until 1889.
Date: 1873
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Doctor]

Description: Photo of Dr. John Acers. Photo taken in 1874: Charlie, Texas.
Date: 1874
Partner: Clay County Historical Society

[S. N. Pickens]

Description: S. N. Pickens served as Mayor of Palestine from 1874 until 1878 and then again from 1880 until 1883.
Date: 1874
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Hahn House]

Description: Hahn House. Photo circa 1875: Cambridge, Texas.
Date: 1875~
Partner: Clay County Historical Society

[David Craig Patton Family]

Description: David Craig Patton Family: David Craig Patton and Susan Elizabeth Moore Patton. Photo taken in 1876: Cambridge, Texas.
Date: 1876
Partner: Clay County Historical Society

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the north and east sides of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story house that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. This photo was taken from the corner of south Magnolia and west Bowers streets.
Date: [1878..1955]
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Clay County Jail]

Description: Clay County Jail. Photo taken in 1878: Henrietta, Texas.
Date: 1878
Partner: Clay County Historical Society

[William Young Lacy]

Description: William Young Lacy, son of Martin and Dorothy (Dolly) Young Lacy, wa born on March 20, 1814 in Caldwell County, Ky. (His headstone reads that he was born in 1912) He attended college in Kentucky, but when his parents and other family members prepared to move to Texas, he was called home to accompany them. William lived in San Augustine, then moved with his family to Bean’s Saline in what is now southwest Smith County. He served in the Army of the Republic in East Texas and then became a surveyor, serving as deputy surveyor of East Texas by appointment from President Houston. After the war for Texas Independence was over, he was in the frontier service, engaged in warding off Indian attacks in the area. He took part in the one noted Indian battle of the area, the Kickapoo fight which occurred in northeast Anderson County. William’s father was a friend of Peter Elias Bean of Nacogdoches. William met and married Louisa, the daughter of Peter Bean in 1841. She died shortly after the marriage and in 1845 William married Ann Eliza Lindsay. Ann Eliza was a native of Guilford County, N.C.. She had been brought to Texas by her maternal grandmother, Priscilla Saunders Beeson, after the death of her parents. The Beeson’s were a prominent Quaker family from Guilford and Randolph Counties, N.C. The Lacy families remained at Fort Lacy until about 1860 when they moved to Palestine, where William Young was involved with farming and merchandising. He served as Mayor of Palestine from 1878 until 1880 and again from 1883 until 1885. Some say that he actually served three terms in office, but I was unable to verify this. William and Ann Eliza were the parents of nine sons, but only three lived to adulthood. One of ...
Date: 1878
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[1st Postmaster]

Description: 1st postmaster: J.J. Moon. Photo circa 1880: Henrietta, Texas.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Clay County Historical Society

[B.F. Yantis Mill]

Description: B.F. Yantis Mill. Photo circa 1880. Henrietta, Texas.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Clay County Historical Society

[Dr. A.B. Edwards]

Description: Dr. A.B. Edwards. Photo taken in 1880: Henrietta, Texas.
Date: 1880
Partner: Clay County Historical Society

[Knights of Pythias Bandmaster]

Description: Knights of Pythias Bandmaster: C.B. Hilburn. Photo taken in 1882: Henrietta, Texas.
Date: 1882
Partner: Clay County Historical Society

[Clay County Court House]

Description: Clay County Court House. Photo taken in 1884: Henrietta, Texas.
Date: 1884
Partner: Clay County Historical Society

[Doctor]

Description: Photo of Dr. and Mrs. S.G. Bittick. Photo circa 1885: Henrietta, Texas.
Date: 1885~
Partner: Clay County Historical Society

Henrietta Street - Horse Race

Description: Harness (horse) racing through a street in Henrietta around 1885.
Date: 1885
Partner: Clay County Historical Society

[Third Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Copy print of the third Anderson County Courthouse in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story brick building with stone accents and a taller tower on one corner. A gazebo is visible on the grounds, to the right, and several unidentified people are standing near one corner of the building. The words "Court House, Palestine, Texas" are written across the top of the image.
Date: [1885..1916]
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Colonel George R. Howard]

Description: Colonel George Robert Howard was born on June 6, 1818. He married Cornelia Cox and they came to Palestine from Tennessee in 1849. Given the title of Colonel when he organized a company of men during the Civil War, he later served in the Texas Legislature, held several county offices and was Mayor of Palestine from 1886-1887. Colonel Howard was an active merchant in Palestine and in 1855 his store was located on the east side of the courthouse square. Their home, now referred to as “The Howard House” by local residents, is located at 1101 N. Perry Street. It was built in 1851 on land deeded to Colonel Howard from Judge Reuben Reeves on August 17, 1850. He died on December 28, 1900 and is buried in the Old section of the Palestine City Cemetery.
Date: 1886
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Jane Pells]

Description: Photograph of Jane Pells. This photo was included in the Pells-Trotter collection of photos and memorabilia which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Date: 1887
Creator: Bailey Photography
Partner: Palestine Public Library