Rescuing Texas History, 2006 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[The Angel statue at Memorial Park honoring the Texas City firefighters lost in the 1947 Texas City Disaster]

Description: A close-up photograph of the Italian marble angel statue in Memorial Park which honors the Texas City firefighters killed in the 1947 Texas City Disaster. An angel stands on a pedestal with an inscription which is covered by a bouquet of flowers sitting on the ground. Behind the statue, part of the reflecting pool and another monument can be seen. On the back of the photograph is the following caption: "An Italian marble angel honors the Texas City Firefighters lost in the explosion."
Date: 1960~
Partner: Moore Memorial Public Library

[Central Texas College]

Description: Aerial view of Central Texas College prior to the construction of the new, multi-lane Highway 190. The bell tower and duck pond are visible near the front center of the photo, where a U-shaped drive is clearly seen. In addition to the campus buildings and automobiles in the photograph, a large area of mostly flat, barren land is visible along with a few hills. The The college opened September 19, 1967.
Date: 1960~
Partner: Killeen City Library System

[Henry Grady Trent Sr. in front of King's Grocery]

Description: Henry Grady Trent Sr. in front of King's Grocery. The white pickup in the photo belongs to him. The upper floor of the grocery store was the Masonic Lodge of Petrolia where he was a member and a former Worshipful Master. He was born March 31, 1900 in Randolph County, Alabama, and died Nov. 2, 1967 in Archer City, TX. He and his wife Myrtle Marie Edge Trent moved to Petrolia around 1943. Photo circa 1960: Petrolia, Texas.
Date: 1960~
Partner: Clay County Historical Society