Rescuing Texas History, 2006 - 1,325 Matching Results

Search Results

DAR honors Ernestine Thompson

Description: Announcement for the reception when the Daughters of the American Revolution (D.A.R.) honored Ernestine Thompson with the Community Service Award at the W.H. Passon Historical Society on May 21, 2006. Ernestine collected artifacts for the Jacob Fontaine Religious Museum.
Date: May 21, 2006
Partner: Jacob Fontaine Religious Museum

Linda Finch with her Lockheed L-10A Electra at the Camp Wallace Marker Dedication Ceremony

Description: Camp Wallace Marker Dedication Service. Static displays of aircraft. A woman in a flight suit talks with a gentleman in front of a plane. This is Linda Finch of San Antonio, who in 1997 faithfully recreated the ill-fated last flight of Amelia Earhart. Finch's effort became known as "World Flight 1997," and is the only retracing of Earhart's last flight that incorporated an aircraft almost identical to Earhart's Lockheed L-10 Electra aircraft.
Date: 1997
Partner: Genevieve Miller Hitchcock Public Library

Lockheed L-10A Electra at the Camp Wallace Marker Dedication Ceremony

Description: Camp Wallace Marker Dedication Service. Hangar displays with people standing around an airplane. This is Linda Finch's airplane in which she faithfully recreated the ill-fated last flight of Amelia Earhart. Finch's effort became known as "World Flight 1997," and is the only retracing of Earhart's last flight that incorporated an aircraft almost identical to Earhart's Lockheed L-10 Electra aircraft. Finch can be seen in the left side of the frame, speaking with some onlookers.
Date: 1997
Partner: Genevieve Miller Hitchcock Public Library

[100 S. Sycamore - Pearlstone Grocery Company]

Description: This building is one of the relatively few historic warehouses to survive in Palestine. The building is indicative of how little stylistic ornamentation was applied to buildings that were used for utilitarian purposes. The building does have paired, double-hung windows set within segmented arches and vertical brick piers that define the bays. The Davidson-Pearlstone Grocery Company was in operation at this site for several years following its formation in 1899. In 1904 local businessman Hyman Pearlstone bought the controlling interest and renamed the company. According to local historians, J.T. Sweetman bought an interest in the firm in 1905. The Pearlstone Grocery Company opened in this building in January 1913.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Partner: Palestine Public Library