Rescuing Texas History, 2006 - 144 Matching Results

Search Results

Linda Finch with her Lockheed L-10A Electra at the Camp Wallace Marker Dedication Ceremony

Description: Camp Wallace Marker Dedication Service. Static displays of aircraft. A woman in a flight suit talks with a gentleman in front of a plane. This is Linda Finch of San Antonio, who in 1997 faithfully recreated the ill-fated last flight of Amelia Earhart. Finch's effort became known as "World Flight 1997," and is the only retracing of Earhart's last flight that incorporated an aircraft almost identical to Earhart's Lockheed L-10 Electra aircraft.
Date: 1997
Partner: Genevieve Miller Hitchcock Public Library

Lockheed L-10A Electra at the Camp Wallace Marker Dedication Ceremony

Description: Camp Wallace Marker Dedication Service. Hangar displays with people standing around an airplane. This is Linda Finch's airplane in which she faithfully recreated the ill-fated last flight of Amelia Earhart. Finch's effort became known as "World Flight 1997," and is the only retracing of Earhart's last flight that incorporated an aircraft almost identical to Earhart's Lockheed L-10 Electra aircraft. Finch can be seen in the left side of the frame, speaking with some onlookers.
Date: 1997
Partner: Genevieve Miller Hitchcock Public Library

[The Altar Monument in Memorial Park in Texas City]

Description: A close-up view of the Altar memorial at Memorial Park in Texas City. A stone book lies open on a stone altar. On the front of the memorial is engraved "In memoriam those who lost their lives in the Texas City Disaster of April 16, 1947". On the back of the photograph is typed "A stone altar was part of the original cemetery and remains as part of the restoration and enhancement completed in 1991."
Date: 1991
Partner: Moore Memorial Public Library

Genevieve Miller home in Hitchcock

Description: Genevieve Miller home in Hitchcock, Texas. Picture taken August 1980. It was built in 1918 in Freddiesville and was originally a Santa Fe Railway Company house. After changing of railway operations the house was offered for sale. Miss. Miller purchased the house, some time in the 1940's, and had it moved to Barry and 2nd st. Miss. Miller donated the land/house in 1979 and the Genevieve Miller Hitchcock Public Library was built in 1985. The house serves as a museum.
Date: unknown
Partner: Genevieve Miller Hitchcock Public Library