Rescuing Texas History, 2006 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Freedmens First Vote - Palestine, Texas]

Description: This is a photo of the first Anderson County Courthouse the day of the Freedmen's First Vote. Notice the voters' horses tied to the railing and the Union guards watching over them to prevent opposition from taking or harming them.
Date: 1866~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[1853 boundaries of the City of Laredo]

Description: Sketch of land leased from the City of Laredo by the United States Government for use of the U. S. Army stationed at Fort McIntosh.
Date: 1853
Item Type: Map
Partner: Laredo Public Library

[Original Platmap of the City of Palestine, TX]

Description: In 1846 the Texas Legislature created Palestine to serve as seat for the newly established Anderson County. James R. Fulton, Johnston Shelton and William Bigelow were hired by the first Anderson County commissioners to survey the surrounding land and lay out a town site, consisting of a central courthouse square and the surrounding 24 blocks.
Date: 1846
Item Type: Map
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Engraving of Stephen F. Austin]

Description: Engraved portrait of of Stephen F. Austin. The image is round, in the center of a larger page, and Austin is visible from the chest up.
Date: December 16, 1836
Item Type: Artwork
Partner: Palestine Public Library