Rescuing Texas History, 2006 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Original Platmap of the City of Palestine, TX]

Description: In 1846 the Texas Legislature created Palestine to serve as seat for the newly established Anderson County. James R. Fulton, Johnston Shelton and William Bigelow were hired by the first Anderson County commissioners to survey the surrounding land and lay out a town site, consisting of a central courthouse square and the surrounding 24 blocks.
Date: 1846
Item Type: Map
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Diana Campbell Parr]

Description: A photograph of Diana Campbell Parr, daughter of privateer James Campbell and wife of Solomon Parr. Mrs. Campbell is wearing a long-sleeved, full-length dark dress with a bow at the neck and gloves.
Date: 1840~/1850
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Moore Memorial Public Library

[Henry Wilcox]

Description: A photograph of a sketch of Henry Wilcox, an early settler of Shoal Point. In the sketch, Mr. Wilcox is wearing a dark suit coat, a white shirt and black bow tie.
Date: 1840 - 1853
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Moore Memorial Public Library