Rescuing Texas History, 2006 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Linda Finch with her Lockheed L-10A Electra at the Camp Wallace Marker Dedication Ceremony

Description: Camp Wallace Marker Dedication Service. Static displays of aircraft. A woman in a flight suit talks with a gentleman in front of a plane. This is Linda Finch of San Antonio, who in 1997 faithfully recreated the ill-fated last flight of Amelia Earhart. Finch's effort became known as "World Flight 1997," and is the only retracing of Earhart's last flight that incorporated an aircraft almost identical to Earhart's Lockheed L-10 Electra aircraft.
Date: 1997
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Genevieve Miller Hitchcock Public Library

Lockheed L-10A Electra at the Camp Wallace Marker Dedication Ceremony

Description: Camp Wallace Marker Dedication Service. Hangar displays with people standing around an airplane. This is Linda Finch's airplane in which she faithfully recreated the ill-fated last flight of Amelia Earhart. Finch's effort became known as "World Flight 1997," and is the only retracing of Earhart's last flight that incorporated an aircraft almost identical to Earhart's Lockheed L-10 Electra aircraft. Finch can be seen in the left side of the frame, speaking with some onlookers.
Date: 1997
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Genevieve Miller Hitchcock Public Library

[Robert McKelvey]

Description: Robert McKelvey served as Mayor of Palestine from 1997 until 2001.
Date: 1997
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Joe Meyer]

Description: Joe Meyer served as Mayor of Palestine from 1995 until 1997.
Date: 1995
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[100 Block W. Kolstad]

Description: Photo of the 100 block of W. Kolstad. Houses from the left to right are 119, 117, and 115 W. Kolstad.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[100 S. Sycamore - Pearlstone Grocery Company]

Description: This building is one of the relatively few historic warehouses to survive in Palestine. The building is indicative of how little stylistic ornamentation was applied to buildings that were used for utilitarian purposes. The building does have paired, double-hung windows set within segmented arches and vertical brick piers that define the bays. The Davidson-Pearlstone Grocery Company was in operation at this site for several years following its formation in 1899. In 1904 local businessman Hyman Pearlstone bought the controlling interest and renamed the company. According to local historians, J.T. Sweetman bought an interest in the firm in 1905. The Pearlstone Grocery Company opened in this building in January 1913.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[107 E. Kolstad - Gaught House]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of the "Gaught House," a two-story, red-brick house located at 107 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. There is a double staircase leading to the raised front porch, which has ionic columns.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[111 Angelina - Pentecom LLC]

Description: Located at the northwest corner of Angelina and Royall streets, it was at one time the Medical Center Pharmacy. As of August 2006, the building houses the offices of Pentecom LLC.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Moore, David
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[200 Block S. Magnolia]

Description: This photo was taken from the west side of S. Magnolia Street, just south of the railroad tracks, with the camera facing north. The houses are (from right to left) 216 S. Magnolia, 212 S. Magnolia, 208 S. Magnolia (Verda's Flower Shop) and 204 S. Magnolia.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[201 W. Crawford - Denby Bldg]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of the "Denby Building," located at 201 W. Crawford in downtown Palestine, Texas. It is a three-story brick building, classified as a "Two-Part Commercial Block," that has grouped pivoting windows on the upper floors, and side-facing brickwork in the parapet.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[209-211 W. Kolstad - Grace Methodist Church]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of a two-story brick building located at 301 W. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. It has Classical Revival features; the most notable architectural element is the elliptical archway in the brickwork façade. There are two sets of stairs leading to the front entrance and the sign over the doors says "Grace United Methodist Church."
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[213 W. Main - Robinson State Bank Building]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Robinson State Bank Building" located at 213 W. Main in Palestine, Texas. The building is made of red brick with Romanesque Revival detailing and is classified as a One-Part Commercial Block. It has a rectangular plan with load-bearing masonry construction, a 3-bay façade that displays elaborate brickwork, a large round archway marking the primary entrance, and a stepped, 3-part parapet with corbelling. A neon sign near the entrance says "Rushing Jewelers, Home of Lucky Forever Diamond Rings."
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library