Rescuing Texas History, 2006 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[200 Block S. Magnolia]

Description: This photo was taken from the west side of S. Magnolia Street, just south of the railroad tracks, with the camera facing north. The houses are (from right to left) 216 S. Magnolia, 212 S. Magnolia, 208 S. Magnolia (Verda's Flower Shop) and 204 S. Magnolia.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[201 W. Crawford - Denby Bldg]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of the "Denby Building," located at 201 W. Crawford in downtown Palestine, Texas. It is a three-story brick building, classified as a "Two-Part Commercial Block," that has grouped pivoting windows on the upper floors, and side-facing brickwork in the parapet.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[209-211 W. Kolstad - Grace Methodist Church]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of a two-story brick building located at 301 W. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. It has Classical Revival features; the most notable architectural element is the elliptical archway in the brickwork façade. There are two sets of stairs leading to the front entrance and the sign over the doors says "Grace United Methodist Church."
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[213 W. Main - Robinson State Bank Building]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Robinson State Bank Building" located at 213 W. Main in Palestine, Texas. The building is made of red brick with Romanesque Revival detailing and is classified as a One-Part Commercial Block. It has a rectangular plan with load-bearing masonry construction, a 3-bay façade that displays elaborate brickwork, a large round archway marking the primary entrance, and a stepped, 3-part parapet with corbelling. A neon sign near the entrance says "Rushing Jewelers, Home of Lucky Forever Diamond Rings."
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[220 W. Reagan - Grant House]

Description: Photograph of the northwest corner of the "Grant House," a two-story, Queen Anne-style house located at 220 W. Reagan (on the corner of W. Reagan and S. May streets) in Palestine, Texas.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the northeast corner of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story white house with blue trim that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. This photo was taken from the corner of south Magnolia and west Bowers streets.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[310 E. Crawford - Gatewood Shelton Gin Building]

Description: Photograph of one corner of the "Gatewood-Shelton Gin" building, located at 310 E. Crawford in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story metal-clad structure without stylistic ornamentation, that faces north onto E. Crawford Street, just beyond the northern limits of Palestine’s historic downtown
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[315 E. Kolstad - Greenwood House]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Greenwood House," a two-story, Queen Anne-style house located at 315 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. The house is partially obscured by trees in the front yard.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[400 Block S. Sycamore]

Description: This picture was taken while standing at the intersection of Dallas and S. Sycamore streets, looking northeast at the houses on S. Sycamore street. The houses are (from left to right) 408 S. Sycamore, 412 S. Sycamore, 416 S. Sycamore and the last house on the right is no longer there. I do not know what the address of that house was.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Moore, David
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[400 N. Queen - Redlands Hotel]

Description: Photograph of the south and west sides of the Redlands Hotel, on the corner of Oak and Queen streets, at 400 N. Queen in Palestine, Texas. It is a Two-Part Vertical Block building that has a U-shaped plan and load-bearing masonry walls, with Renaissance Revival-style architectural elements. Noteworthy features include the quoin-like brick in the end bays of the west and south elevations, and the entablature with large brackets.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[401 W. Main - G. E. Dilley Building]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of the "Dilley Building," a two-story, brick building located at 401 W. Main in Palestine, Texas. It has a rectangular plan and load-bearing masonry walls with Victorian Italianate-style details, including an elaborately detailed parapet on the façade and the segmental-arched hoodmolds on the second floors of the south and east elevations. It is classified as a Two-Part Commercial Block building, and is part of Palestine’s central business district.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Description: Photograph of the Mallard Alexander House located at 407 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. It is a one-story house with a porch almost the length of the front and an addition on the left side of the house. There is a large front yard in the foreground, including a number of trees and a bench swing.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[503 E. Hodges - Hearne House]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Hearne House," a 2 1/2-story house located at 503 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style architecture including a corner tower with a conical roof on the southwest corner and a 2-tiered porch with turned balustrades. This photo was taken from the street, looking up the front walk toward the house; the front yard is open and there are planters near the start and end of the front walk as well as large trees on either side of the house.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[511 Royall - Reagan / Ferguson House]

Description: This modest, center-passage dwelling presents another good illustration of how many late 19th century homeowners applied stylistic ornamentation to a vernacular house form. This 1-story frame residence has a front-facing gable extension and porch with turned-wood columns and jigsawn brackets, all of which are suggestive of the Queen Anne style. Rear additions are not only relatively unobtrusive to the building’s original appearance, but they also reflect the property’s physical evolution and are important architectural features. John H. Reagan built this house in the 1880s for his daughter, Bettie Reagan Ferguson, and his son-in-law, Alexander Ferguson. Mr. Ferguson was postmaster of Palestine from 1886-1890. The dwelling was later the home of the couple’s daughter, Bess Ferguson, who taught in the Palestine schools and was a librarian at the Palestine Public Library.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of "Elmwood," a white, two-story house located at 601 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has a wrap-around porch and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic-style columns; these elements altered the original Queen Anne-style architecture.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[638 S. Magnolia - Silliman House]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of the Silliman House, a two-story, brick Georgian Revival-style house located at 638 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It has some stone accents including light-colored quoins on the corners.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[700 Block S. Sycamore]

Description: Photograph of the west side of the 700 Block of S. Sycamore from the intersection of S. Sycamore Street and Neches Streets, looking toward the north. The houses in the picture are (from left to right) 717 S. Sycamore and 713 S. Sycamore.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Moore, David
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[805 S. Sycamore - George Edward Dilley House]

Description: Photograph of the front (east side) of the "George Edward Dilley House" located at 805 S. Sycamore, in Palesine, Texas. The house is two stories and has a wrap-around porch with decorative woodwork, as well as a mansard roof and a widow's walk with cast iron handrails. The yard is enclosed by a decorative metal fence.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[814 S. Sycamore - Pennybacker Campbell House]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Pennybacker Campbell House," a 2 ½-story, white, frame, Queen Anne-style house located at 814 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[839 N. Tennessee]

Description: Photograph of a one-story, white, L-plan frame house located at 839 N. Tennessee in Palestine, Texas. It has a large bay window on the left side of the house and Queen Ann-style embellishments along the roofline and the porch.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[900 Block N. Sycamore]

Description: Photograph of the 900 block of North Sycamore street in Palestine, Texas, taken from the intersection of Kolstad and N. Sycamore streets, facing north. The address for the large white house (on the left side of the picture) is 901 N. Sycamore and the one next to it is 911 S. Sycamore.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[913 E. Calhoun - Mt. Vernon African American Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of Mount Vernon African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church, located at 913 E. Calhoun Street, in Palestine, Texas. The brick building is a Gothic Revival-style building that has large towers on two of the corners with steep pyramidal roofs.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[921 N. Perry - McReynolds House]

Description: In its present configuration, the McClure-McReynolds-fowler House has a U-shaped plan; however, it originally was a center-passage dwelling similar to the George & Cornelia Howard House at 1101 N. Perry. Additions during the late 19th century changed the overall appearance and reflect the property’s architectural evolution. The house retains its historic character and integrity and is among the most significant examples of vernacular architecture in the city. Tennessee-native Judge Alexander Ewing McClure (1815-1870) built this house in 1849. After arriving in Texas in 1840 and residing for several years in Fort Houston, Judge McClure moved to Palestine, becoming the first district clerk for Anderson County, co-owner of the “Trinity Advocate” (the region’s first newspaper), and one of the area’s most prominent lawyers. Zachariah Aycock McReynolds (1846-1928), a native of Georgia and a Confederate veteran, purchased the house in 1884. He held several local elected offices during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, including district clerk, county clerk, county judge, tax collector, and postmaster. He remodeled this house around 1890, reusing the original timber. In 1934 Colonel Godfrey Rees Fowler (1876-1958) retired to this house with his wife, Ella Sue McReynolds (Z.A. McReynold’s daughter). A grandson of John H. Reagan, Fowler’s military career included action during the Spanish-American war and World War I. The house is currently serving as a Bed and Breakfast called the Dogwood Inn.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[922 N. Link - Joost Ozment House]

Description: Photograph of the front and north side of the "Joose-Ozment House," a white, two-story frame house located at 922 N. Link in Palestine, Texas, taken from the corner of Pine and Link streeets. It has a balanced, orderly exterior with a classical façade, including round columns along the front porch and larger two-story columns on either side of the front door.
Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library