Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[4-H Club Members]

Description: Photograph of three members of the 4-H Club. The women are sitting and kneeling beside a lake in Fair Park for a picnic.
Date: 1961
Partner: Childress County Heritage Museum

[E-4 Streamliners in Chicago]

Description: The Chicago and North Western Railway's E-4 type streamliners, which headed the "Overland Limited" and "Challenger" trains between Chicago and the West Coast, stand in the Chicago Passenger Station.
Date: 1945~
Partner: Museum of the American Railroad

[100 W. Oak]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of the Kolstad Jewelry store, located at 100 W. Oak in Palestine, Texas, taken from the corner of Oak and Sycamore streets. It is a two-story brick building with decorative architectural elements around the upper-story windows and roofline. On the first floor, the walls around the store are tiled and there is a striped awning over the sidewalk with the text "Texas' Oldest Store" above the entrance. Signs above the awning say "Thomas C. Smith, Proprietor," "Kolstad," and "George Handson: Jeweler, Calligrapher, Clock Repair" on the front of the store and "Kolstad [...] Texas' Oldest Store" on the side. A part of an adjacent building is visible on the far right.
Date: 1990~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[116 N. Sycamore - Colley Wright Building]

Description: Photo of the Colley Wright building, that once sat at the east side of the intersection of Spring street at Sycamore. This building was removed when Spring Street was widened and extended down to Crockett Road.
Date: 1970~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[201 E. Kolstad]

Description: Photograph of the front and east side of a two-story house located at 201 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style architecture including a tower with a conical roof on the southeast corner and wood details along the front porch.
Date: unknown
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[210 Crawford - J.H. Silliman Home]

Description: Photo of the J.H. Silliman Home, located at 210 Crawford. A Mississippi native, J.H. Silliman was the proprietor of Silliman and Company – a Palestine business founded in 1871, and one of the largest hardware stores in the region. Silliman married Laura Brook, the architect’James Frith Brook's, daughter, in 1920. The family later moved to 638 S. Magnolia.
Date: 1898~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[216 S. Magnolia]

Description: Close-up photograph of a white, two-story house located at 216 S. Magnolia, Palestine, Texas. There is some decorative woodwork along the eaves and corners of the house, and there is a green awning over the front porch.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[220 W. Reagan - Grant House]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of the "Grant House," a yellow, two-story, Queen Anne-style house located at 220 W. Reagan (on the corner of W. Reagan and S. May streets) in Palestine, Texas.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story white house with blue trim that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim.
Date: February 1992
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story white house with blue trim that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. Part of the yard is also visible, including a gazebo near the back of the house and a fountain in the front of the yard.
Date: February 1992
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story white house with blue trim that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. Part of the yard is also visible, including a gazebo near the back of the house and a fountain in the front of the yard.
Date: February 1992
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the north and east sides of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story house that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. Part of the yard is also visible, a fountain in the front.
Date: 1979~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[303 E. Kolstad]

Description: Photograph of the front of a white, two-story, frame house with some Classical Revival-style architectural elements, located at 303 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. There is a sign in the front yard that says "Dogwood Trails Open House"; a woman and young girl are walking toward the entrance.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[303 S. Royall]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of a two-story, brick and stucco Tudor Revival-style house located at 303 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. Distinctive architectural features include the decorative half-timbered woodwork on the exterior, the steeply pitched, cross-gabled roof, the windows with small panes, and the incorporation of stone into the masonry exterior walls.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[304 Main Street]

Description: Photograph of the entrance to a multi-story commercial building located at 304 Main Street in Palestine, Texas. It has three large, arched openings for doors and windows with decorative metalwork over them, depicting trees. Part of the adjacent building is visible on the right.
Date: 1970~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[400 N. Queen - Redlands Hotel]

Description: Photograph of the south and west sides of the Redlands Hotel, on the corner of Oak and Queen streets, at 400 N. Queen in Palestine, Texas. It is a Two-Part Vertical Block building that has a U-shaped plan and load-bearing masonry walls, with Renaissance Revival-style architectural elements. Noteworthy features include the quoin-like brick in the end bays of the west and south elevations, and the entablature with large brackets.
Date: 1919~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Description: Photograph of the Mallard Alexander House located at 407 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. The house is a light-colored, one-story building with a front porch in the center of the building. In the foreground, the front lawn contains a number of large trees.
Date: 1930~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Description: Copy negative of a photograph of the Mallard Alexander House located at 407 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. The house is a light-colored one-story building with a porch supported by pillars with a grassy front lawn. Handwritten notes are around the photograph: "The Alexander Home - 407 [E. Kolstad], Palestine, [TX], Hous[e] in..."
Date: unknown
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Description: Photograph of the Mallard Alexander House located at 407 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. It is a light-colored house surrounded by a lawn and trees, with a circular drive partially visible on the right side of the image.
Date: 1950~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[408 E. Neches]

Description: Close-up photograph of part of the front of a two-story, Tudor Revival-style brick house located at 408 E. Neches in Palestine, Texas. Perhaps the most noteworthy architectural element is the decorative half-timbered construction on parts of the exterior.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[408 E. Neches]

Description: Photograph of the front of a two-story, Tudor Revival-style brick house located at 408 E. Neches in Palestine, Texas. Perhaps the most noteworthy architectural element is the decorative half-timbered construction on parts of the exterior.
Date: November 1991
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church]

Description: Photograph of the front of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It is a red-brick building with white stone accents that has a Gothic architecture design including leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. There is a tall silver spire above the tower on the left side of the building. A sign outside the front entrance has information about worship services.
Date: unknown
Location Info:
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church]

Description: Copy negative of the front of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It is a red-brick building with white stone accents that has a Gothic architecture design including leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. There is a tall silver spire above the tower on the left side of the building. A smaller building is visible to the left.
Date: 1900~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church - Palestine]

Description: Photograph of the front of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It is a red-brick building with white stone accents that has a Gothic architecture design including leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. There is a tall silver spire above the tower on the left side of the building. A sign outside the front entrance has information about worship services.
Date: unknown
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library