Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Description: One of the oldest homes in Palestine, this house was built using slave labor in 1848 by Judge John B. Mallard. Surrounded by stately oak and cedar trees, it continues to be on its original foundation of one and one-half foot cedar logs and has been repaired and remodeled by later owners. Marked by the State of Texas n 1952, it has been the home of the Forrest Bradberrys since 1957. Judge Mallard and his wife, the former Susan S. Scott, came to Texas from Mississippi in 1845 and settled at Old Fort Houston. In February 1846, he moved to Palestine, the new county seat of Anderson County which had been organized that same year, and purchased ten acres, known as the Mallard Block. This acreage was located just north of the then city limits which is now in Old Town Palestine. The Mallards had seven children including Mrs. Bettie Oder, a beloved teacher in Palestine for forty-six years. Mrs. Oder was born at this home in 1849 and died in Houston in 1940. Also born here was Mrs. Barbara Alexander Eppner. The first census of early Palestine was compiled n 1848 by Mrs. John Mallard, and included the families living in the original town site, a total of 148 whites and 31 negro slaves. Judge Mallard, the first lawyer to practice in Palestine, served as a member of the Fifth Texas Legislature, and was the second Chief Justice of Anderson County. In 1852, he formed a law partnership with Judge William Alexander and Judge John H. Reagan. In 1854, Judge Mallard died and on March 8, 1857, his widow married Judge Alexander. Judge William Alexander, born in Scotland on September 10, 1814, came to Galveston in 1850 and on to Palestine. In 1860, shortly before the outbreak of the ...
Date: 1900~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church]

Description: Copy negative of the front of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It is a red-brick building with white stone accents that has a Gothic architecture design including leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. There is a tall silver spire above the tower on the left side of the building. A smaller building is visible to the left.
Date: 1900~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[411 S. Sycamore - A.S. Fox Home]

Description: Photograph of a family on the lawn of the A.S. Fox home, located at 411 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. There are two young girls wearing light-colored dresses, standing on the left side of the image and looking at a spouting fountain in the yard; a man is standing on the right side of the image, holding a toddler. The house is visible in the background. It is a two-story, light-colored building with two chimneys and a widow's walk on the room, as well as a wrap-around front porch with woodwork. A woman is standing on the porch looking toward the camera. A smaller, more ornate building is also visible on the far left of the image.
Date: 1900~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[412 S. Royall - Royall House]

Description: Copy negative of the front of a two-story house located at 416 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. There are people on the porch and in the front yard.
Date: 1900~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[1305 S. Sycamore - Broyles House]

Description: Close-up photograph of the southeast corner of the "Broyles House," a 2 ½-story frame house with Queen Anne-style architecture, located at 1305 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas.
Date: 1900~
Location Info:
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[1305 S. Sycamore - Broyles House]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of the "Broyles House," a white, 2 ½-story frame house with Queen Anne-style architecture, located at 1305 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas.
Date: 1900~
Location Info:
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

5th Street and Avenue D in Clifton

Description: View of the building at the southeast corner of Avenue D and 5th Street in downtown Clifton. The building contains J. M. Brock's Drug Store (on the corner), Greer's Barber Shop (on Avenue D), and The Clifton Record (on 5th Street). This building was destroyed by fire on December 23, 1905.
Date: c. 1900 - 1910
Partner: Bosque County Historical Commission

5th Street in Clifton, North Side

Description: View of the north side of Fifth Street in downtown Clifton, Texas. The building in the foreground is on the southeast corner of Avenue D and 5th Street and was destroyed by fire on December 23, 1905. The Clifton Record newspaper office can be seen on the left side of this building. The building in the background is on the southwest corner of Avenue D and 5th Street.
Date: c. 1900 - 1910
Partner: Bosque County Historical Commission

[Aerial View of Homes in Orange, Texas]

Description: Aerial photograph of homes in Orange, Texas. Many of the homes have porches. One has a large rain barrel in its backyard. An automobile can be seen going down one of the streets.
Date: 1900~
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Anderson County Farmers]

Description: Photo of some farmer working in the fields somewhere in Anderson County. It is unknown who Mrs. Melba Wallace is or how she is connected to this picture.
Date: c. 1900
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Anderson County Jail]

Description: This is a photograph of the second Anderson County Jail. The jail was built on the southwest corner of the courthouse square in 1879-80. It was, at the time, the most architecturally advanced building on the square of Palestine. Its clock tower, rising one floor beyond the two-story sheriff’s office and jail, could be seen all the way to New Town, the part of town near the railroad depot. The jail was used until 1931, when it was considered inadequate for county needs. It was torn down and a more modern structure built, the three-story white brick building that now stands on the site.
Date: C. 1900
Partner: Palestine Public Library

Avenue D in Clifton, East Side

Description: View of the east side of Avenue D in downtown Clifton, Texas. The P. E. Schow building is shown on the northwest corner of Avenue D and 4th Street.
Date: c. 1900 - 1910
Partner: Bosque County Historical Commission

[The "Banner Limited"]

Description: Wabash Railway's The "Banner Limited" dating from the turn of the century, traverses the 286 mile route between St. Louis and Chicago. It was a daylight train - No. 11 southbound and No. 10 northbound - operating on a schedule of about seven hours. In this photograph the "Banner Limited" is headed by an Atlantic type 4-4-2 locomotive, engine No. 602, with a consist of old wooden cars which have underbody truss rods and open platforms. As early as June 1916, this train was cited in the Official Guide of the Railways as having modern steel equipment, comprising Smoking, Chair, Dining, and Observation cars.
Date: c. 1900
Partner: Museum of the American Railroad

[Barbershop Quartet]

Description: Barbershop Quartet in Palestine Texas.
Date: c. 1900
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

Birthday for Liv Grimland

Description: Large family group, honoring Liv Grimland's 90th birthday, on June 14, 1900. Those indentified are Oscar Grimland, J K Grimland, Kalmar Grimland, Lue Grimland, Orus Solberg, Otto Solberg, Selmer Solberg, Callie Solberg, Nils Grimland, Gunsten Grimland, Yern Grimland, Kerste Grimland Solberg, Inger Halverson Grimland, Isaac Solberg, Benjamin Grimland, Tom Grimland, Olena Grimland,Inez Grimland, Flora Grimland,Hattie Grimland, Sophie Brown Grimland, Annie Olson Grimland, Mary Johnson Grimland, Edward Grimland, Lucy Wallace Grimland, Roy Grimland, Clara Swenson Grimland, Cora Grimland, Anton Peterson, Laura Grimland (Nelson). Yern and Liv Grimland are seated in Rockers, second row center. Ole Solberg, Sr, Theresa Jenson Grimland, Chris Solberg, Neal Grimland, John Grimland, Robert Grimland, John Soloberg, Pete Grimland, Jennie Grimland, Jim Grimland, Lisse Solberg, Anna Grimland, Ole Solberg, Jr, Nora Grimland, Molly Grimland, Lou Solberg, John Grimland, Andrew Grimland.
Date: June 14, 1900
Partner: Bosque County Historical Commission

Bosque County Courthouse

Description: View of the the Bosque County Courthouse in Meridian, Texas. Caption says "Courthouse, Meridian".
Date: c. 1900 - 1910
Partner: Bosque County Historical Commission

Bosque River Flood, Old Mill #2

Description: Flood on the Bosque River at the Old Mill near Clifton. Caption says "High Water, Clifton".
Date: c. 1900 - 1910
Partner: Bosque County Historical Commission

Bosque River Flood, Old Mill #3

Description: Flood on the Bosque River at the Old Mill near Clifton. Caption says "Bosque River, Clifton".
Date: c. 1900 - 1910
Partner: Bosque County Historical Commission

Bosque River Flood, RR Bridge #1

Description: Flood on the Bosque River at the railroad bridge near Clifton.
Date: c. 1900 - 1910
Partner: Bosque County Historical Commission