Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Bolivar Street, Sanger, Texas]

Description: Downtown Sanger looking east along Bolivar Street from the corner on Fifth Street. The native stone wall marks the edge of the square.
Date: c. 1942
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Sanger Public Library

[Chamber of Commerce Saturday drawing]

Description: Many people gather in downtown Sanger each Saturday for a cash drawing. Entries for the drawing were obtained by making a purchase from participating merchants during the preceding week. George W. (Speedy) Sullivan, standing on truck conducting the drawing. George A. Sullivan standing arms akimbo with straw hat.
Date: c. 1920
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Sanger Public Library

[Dismantling old water tower, full shot]

Description: The crane is in place to dismantle the minicipal water tower. Originally purchased October 15, 1923 for $5,650 from Pittsburgh - Des Moines Steel Co. Dallas, TX. Held 50,000 gallons of water.
Date: March 15, 1999
Creator: Henderson, John
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Sanger Public Library

[Dr. Wall and Dan Davis]

Description: Outside of store displaying Coca Cola sign, Dr. Wall (Dentist) & Dan Davis are mock fighting for the camera.
Date: c. 1915
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Sanger Public Library

[Ella Warren's Insurance Office]

Description: Office in back part of First National Bank. Pictured are "Miss Ella" Warren with her partner RW Walten, Curtis Warren and Rev. J.L. Ratcliff Pastor of First Baptist Church. "Miss Ella" was the first woman in Sanger to receive the outstanding citizen award.
Date: 1923
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Sanger Public Library

[First National Bank]

Description: Building on the corner of 3rd and Bolivar Streets. In 1899 Mr. Berry came to Sanger and with B.L. and J. W. Spencer bought the Farmers Bank of Sanger, changing the name to Farmers & Merchants Bank. It was chartered as First National Bank of Sanger in 1905.
Date: c. 1920
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Sanger Public Library

[First National Bank lobby]

Description: Ballard Powell, Gwen Beeman Pate (Mrs. Hugh), and A.M. Beeman (taller man) stand behind the counter of the First National Bank in Sanger, Texas.
Date: c. 1937 - 1943
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Sanger Public Library

[First public water tower]

Description: Dan Davis and Charlie Henderson owned and operated the first public water utility and electric power plant in Sanger. This water tank on wooden platform and tower, with work sheds and picket fence in foreground was built in 1906. It was on the south east corner of 4th and Locust Streets.
Date: c. 1910
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Sanger Public Library

[Gaskins Drug Store]

Description: Gaskins Drug Store, NE corner of 3rd and Bolivar streets. Shows typical soda fountain. At register: W H Gaskin, on his right: Duncan Davidson, opposite them: Dan Davis, Jeweler
Date: c. 1912
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Sanger Public Library

[Gentle Ambulance]

Description: Man, woman and child in front seat of an ambulance with two nurses and the "patient" in back. Probably a 1928 Cadillac limousine.
Date: c. 1930
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Sanger Public Library

[Goodview School students and teachers]

Description: Small brick schoolhouse with thirty students and four (?) teachers. The building was located on the southeast corner of Metz and View Roads. Front row: First three unidentified, Alfred Coggins, J.C. Barnes, ___Barnes, Ouida Miller Anderson, Bernice Wade, Helen Christian, unknown, Junior Stinson, four unknown, Foy Stinson, Coy Stinson Second row: Nellie Mae Christian, J.B. Wise, Orville Andrews, Lemon Ausband, Bethany Waide, Pearl Lanier Klum, Charlie Mae Stinson, Louise Gilbert, Gibson Lanier, unknown, Gladys Baker, Joe Bob Farrell, unknown. Back row: Frances Barnes, Alyne Seale, Mildred Touchstone, unknown
Date: c. 1925
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Sanger Public Library

[Grading Bolivar Street]

Description: Tractors, one possibly steam, grading the road. Early wooden structures and one brick or stone building on right. Man on left is Dr. Ervin Howard, first doctor in Sanger. May 23, 1892
Date: May 23, 1892
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Sanger Public Library

[Jeweler Dan Davis]

Description: Interior of Gaskin Drug Store shows glass display case holding watches and jewery. Magazine rack in the foreground and Cigar poster on the wall flank Dan Davis, who not only sold, but also repaired watches.
Date: c. 1910
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Sanger Public Library

[John & Lela Cafe]

Description: Ice storm hits cafe on the SW corner of 5th & Bolivar. Coca Cola signs displayed prominently.
Date: January 26, 1949
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Sanger Public Library

Kimbell Mill and Elevator

Description: Elevator, mill and residence located on the east side of 2nd Street between Pecan and Plum Streets.
Date: c. 1955
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Sanger Public Library

Municipal Light and Power

Description: Two story city power plant, water tower and 1938 Dodge truck. Building is located on the southwest corner of Bolivar and 2nd Streets.
Date: c. 1955
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Sanger Public Library

[Post Office, Sanger, Texas]

Description: Group includes (from left): H.D. Green, postmaster, Effie Green, Mrs H.D. Green, Tyler Green, Cleburne Warren, mail carrier, John Vaughn, mail carrier, Curtis Warren, mail carrier. The Post Office was located at east end of Dunn building on the north east corner of Bolivar and 4th Streets.
Date: c. 1910
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Sanger Public Library

Public School - Sanger, Texas

Description: The new brick wing added to the old building on Elm Street. A similar wing was added on the east side. This wing and the old building burned in the 1980s.
Date: c. 1955
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Sanger Public Library